Solved

FaceReplacer does not work with non planar surfaces which I fixed with GeometryValidator

• 11 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +7

I have a shapefile with roof shapes. Now I will convert them into faces. This works well for almost all. But some areas are not planar. So theses non planar areas I fixed in a step before with GeometryValidator and then I will use FaceReplacer. But now the same issue was found "Non-Planar Surfaces". I thought with Geometry Validator these areas are fixed? Can someone help me?

icon

Best answer by takashi 15 February 2022, 23:10

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @limo​ , have you set Yes to the Also Check Areas parameter? The GeometryValidator won't detect non-planar areas, if the parameter is set to No (default).

geometryvalidator-non-planer-surface"Also Check Areas - If set to No, this check will output all areas through the Passed port. If set to Yes, this check will determine an area’s output port based on its planarity." -- GeometryValidator Help

Badge +7

Hi @Takashi Iijima​ , yes I set Yes to the Check Areas parameter! The transformer fixed 4 Objects. However the face replacer says " Invalid Geometry Typ

imageThese 4 Objects are roof shapes:

image I will do Faces out of this polygons. So how can I convert them into faces?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @Takashi Iijima​ , yes I set Yes to the Check Areas parameter! The transformer fixed 4 Objects. However the face replacer says " Invalid Geometry Typ

imageThese 4 Objects are roof shapes:

image I will do Faces out of this polygons. So how can I convert them into faces?

The roof geometry could be a MultiArea, which cannot be transformed into surface directly with FaceReplacer.

Try using GeometryRefiner which transforms MultiArea consisting of a single part area.

If the roof polygon was a MultiArea consisting of two or more parts, try this procedure:

Counter: add sequential number as temporary ID to the roof polygon,

Deaggregator: decompose them into single areas,

FaceReplacer: replace them with Faces,

Aggregator (Group By ID): aggregate them into MultiSurface.

Badge +7

Unfortunately this does not work either. Same mistake like before. FaceReplayer says "INVALID_GEOMETRY_TYPE"

imageMy Shapefile is a 3D polygon with z values and stored as shapefile.

imageYou will find it in the appendix!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Unfortunately this does not work either. Same mistake like before. FaceReplayer says "INVALID_GEOMETRY_TYPE"

imageMy Shapefile is a 3D polygon with z values and stored as shapefile.

imageYou will find it in the appendix!

A non-planar polygon will be a MultiArea after repairing with GeometryValidator, so you will have to insert the Deaggregator between GeometryValidator (Repaired port) and FaceReplacer.

Badge +7

Yes it works now 🙂

So it is sufficient to deaggregate only repaired polygons by the geometry validator. I was not sure about this!

All 3D polygons can be converted into faces. Thanks @Takashi Iijima​