Question

My 'hover' menus have disappeared (run button, feature caching magnifying glass, etc.)

• 11 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Hope someone can help, I'm missing a lot of buttons in my workbench suddenly. I was working on a workbench yesterday, everything was fine. Today I open the same workbench, and the hover-over menu is missing from all the readers/writers and transformers. I need to click on a transformer and it will appear, but the RUN button is missing!

I can only run the entire workspace from the main menu, I can't select and run, and I can't run to/from. So I just ran the entire workspace from the top ribbon menu, and it worked, but now I am also missing the magnifying glass buttons (inspect feature cache)!!!

Help. How do I get my hover over menu back (including the run buttons) and how do I get the inspect feature cache boxes back. Thanks!

6 replies

Badge +20

Just re-enable Feature Caching.

Go to the Run menu and make sure Enable Feature Caching is checked.

Feature chaching

Just re-enable Feature Caching.

Go to the Run menu and make sure Enable Feature Caching is checked.

Feature chaching

it's already enabled. I tried to turn the setting off and back on again. Have restarted. I can't get my run button (at the transformers) back or the inspect feature cache thing.

Also, I don't know if this is a bug, but every time I go to Help --> About FME Workbench FME shuts down. Very annoying!

Badge +20

If that is the case, try reinstalling FME Desktop.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@caracadrian​ is correct that those buttons won't appear without caching turned on, although reader and writer feature types will still have some options even without caching.

Are you getting at least those pop-up buttons? Because if not, then something is wrong.

I didn't think that there was an option or keyboard shortcut to turn those off (I don't see anything under Tools > FME Options) so I don't think it's something you've accidentally set. Having said that, you could always go to Tools > FME Options > Workbench and click on Restore Defaults to see if that helps. Try opening or creating another workspace to see if the same thing happens with that.

Otherwise, if you've restarted both FME and the computer, it might be worth reinstalling. I can't see why it would happen, but it sounds like something could be messed up. But I really think we should be able to sort this without a reinstall.

The Help > About issue is definitely a bug. I don't see it reported anywhere else, so it might be special to your machine and its setup. If you do a re-install and the problem still occurs, then definitely let us know. But it would help to know a bit more like what operating system are you on and what version of FME you are using. Also perhaps your monitor resolution, since that can cause problems if it's very high I believe.

@caracadrian​ is correct that those buttons won't appear without caching turned on, although reader and writer feature types will still have some options even without caching.

Are you getting at least those pop-up buttons? Because if not, then something is wrong.

I didn't think that there was an option or keyboard shortcut to turn those off (I don't see anything under Tools > FME Options) so I don't think it's something you've accidentally set. Having said that, you could always go to Tools > FME Options > Workbench and click on Restore Defaults to see if that helps. Try opening or creating another workspace to see if the same thing happens with that.

Otherwise, if you've restarted both FME and the computer, it might be worth reinstalling. I can't see why it would happen, but it sounds like something could be messed up. But I really think we should be able to sort this without a reinstall.

The Help > About issue is definitely a bug. I don't see it reported anywhere else, so it might be special to your machine and its setup. If you do a re-install and the problem still occurs, then definitely let us know. But it would help to know a bit more like what operating system are you on and what version of FME you are using. Also perhaps your monitor resolution, since that can cause problems if it's very high I believe.

Ok, thanks! Yes I did have those but only on click (not hover). I have reinstalled FME and updated to newest version. It seems to work now. But I still have the bug that shuts down FME whenever I go to Help --> About Workbench or even the Tools --> FME Options.