Question

Can FME create a pg database tables with attribute names that have upper cases?

• 10 February 2022
  • 13 replies

Badge

Can FME create a pg database tables with attribute names that have upper cases? I know that this is possible in postgres - column names are case-sensitive when double-quoted. But no matter which parameters of PostgreSQL writer I select (standard/dynamic writing, with checked or unchecked option to Lowe Case Attribute Names in Table Creation Parameter), FME keeps replacing double-quotes with underscores and output is always folded to lowercase. 

Is it something that can be bypassed? 

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @zuzanna_sz​ , I was able to create a table with uppercase column names if "Lower Case Attribute Names" is unchecked.

Retry setting column names without quoting.postgresql-writer-feature-type-user-attributes

Badge

hi @Takashi Iijima​ 

simplest combination works - that's right! No double-quotes and unchecked parameter give the result with Upper Case column names.

My gole is to use Dynamic Writer with schema coming from a table (workspace resource reader is an excel with big schema table). This is not working with Attribute Names specified with double-quotes or without them in the external excel schema source table... Have you managed to output to pg table with Dynamic definition?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

hi @Takashi Iijima​ 

simplest combination works - that's right! No double-quotes and unchecked parameter give the result with Upper Case column names.

My gole is to use Dynamic Writer with schema coming from a table (workspace resource reader is an excel with big schema table). This is not working with Attribute Names specified with double-quotes or without them in the external excel schema source table... Have you managed to output to pg table with Dynamic definition?

I was able to reproduce the issue you have encountered - the Dynamic PostgreSQL writer with a resource schema table seems to force column names to lowercase always, even if the "Lower Case Attribute Names" has been unchecked.

I don't know if it's an intentional behavior, hope someone from Safe to clarify this. @danatsafe​ ?

Attached a repro.

Badge

I was able to reproduce the issue you have encountered - the Dynamic PostgreSQL writer with a resource schema table seems to force column names to lowercase always, even if the "Lower Case Attribute Names" has been unchecked.

I don't know if it's an intentional behavior, hope someone from Safe to clarify this. @danatsafe​ ?

Attached a repro.

@Takashi Iijima​ Thanks for your input here! that's exactly what I was trying to achieve. Let's see if this can be adjusted by Safe.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Attached a repro.

Hi @zuzanna_sz​ and @Takashi Iijima​ Unfortunately this is a known issue; for your reference FMEENGINE-47925

Badge

Attached a repro.

Thank you for your feedback @danatsafe​ 

Do you know when this issue can be resolved? This fix allows me to keep the entire project within one DB system (postgreSQL). At the moment, I have to use MS SQL Server writer to enable dynamic writing - and it creates additional step in almost all of my projects.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Attached a repro.

Hi @zuzanna_sz Unfortunately there's no date set yet on FMEENGINE-47925, but we'll be sure to let you know when it's been resolved.

Badge

Attached a repro.

hi @danatsafe​ do you have any updates on the FMEENGINE-47925?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Attached a repro.

Hi @zuzanna_sz​ No updates yet. Sorry.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Attached a repro.

@zuzanna_sz​ FMEENGINE-47925 has been resolved. The issue you're running into with the PostGIS Writer is still being worked on and is tracked by a different ticket number.

The tracking number for that ticket is FMEENGINE-9157 - "PostGIS Writer: Using Dynamic schema ignores Generic Geometry / Lowercase Attributes settings"

Since the initial issue that was blocking this has been resolved, we are much closer to being able to put out a fix for the bug. We'll keep you updated for when FMEENGINE-9157 has been fixed.

Badge

Attached a repro.

Dear @danminneyatsaf​ , thanks a lot for the update! My workaround is to create db schema first (I generate set of CREATE TABLE queries) and then use it in a dynamic writer - which only inserts to the existing tables. I will keep an eye on FMEENGINE-9157.

@danminneyatsaf​ is there an update on ticket FMEENGINE-9157? Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@danminneyatsaf​ is there an update on ticket FMEENGINE-9157? Thanks.

Hi @Tara Preston​. Unfortunately I don't have any updates on FMEENGINE-9157 at the moment as it's state hasn't changed since I last posted here. I've updated the ticket with a comment mentioning that you'd like to be updated when a fix is released.