Question

How to move (and scale) unprojected DWG files without affecting geometry

• 10 February 2022
  • 1 reply

I have the following problem: I want to convert dwg-plans automatically to geopackage/dxf. Most of the plans are not in any geographic coordinate system. I'm trying to construct two separate workflows:

1. First detect if the dwg has a coordinate system. If so, just use reprojector to confirm if it is in right coordinate system and use user controlled scaler (sometimes units are m, sometimes mm) then convert to geopackage (this workflow generally works)
  2. If the file doesn't have any geographic coordinate system, move it to a certain point and scale it (user parameter) preserving distances and angles (because the file used for precise work in QGIS later). The aim to move the drawing in certain location, is to more easily move it manually in QGIS without having to search it from 0,0 coordinates.

I've tried LocalCoordinateSystemSetter among others and got some realistic coordinates when inspecting in FME, but when importing to QGIS, it seems to be in another dimension compared to all the other data in same projection. Is it even possible to achieve this without warping the geometry in some way?

1 reply

Userlevel 4

For georeferencing CAD drawings in a local coordinate system, I mostly use the AffineWarper with four control lines (from-to vertices).

If you just want to move and scale the geometries, you could use the Offsetter + Scaler, or the Affiner.