Question

Password visible in FME log

• 10 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +7

We noticed that a password was visible in the log file of FME Desktop. Is this normal? We still looking if this is also the case for FME Server. We think this is a security issue. See attachment for an example. We changed the password in PASWOORD.

http://www.safe.com/support

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Which version of FME is this? And how is the password entered, is it e.g. a published/private parameter, a database connection or an embedded connection?

Badge +7

Hi David,

FME Desktop ESRI Edition (floating)

FME(R) 2020.1.3.0 (20201001 - Build 20632 - WIN32)

and it was a database connection

Userlevel 4

Hi David,

FME Desktop ESRI Edition (floating)

FME(R) 2020.1.3.0 (20201001 - Build 20632 - WIN32)

and it was a database connection

Thanks, I recommend that you send all the details to Safe support. It might be a bug.

If you have the possibility, it would be helpful to try and reproduce the issue with FME 2022 to see if it has already been fixed. You can have both versions of FME installed, as long as you install them into different folders.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

No, that's definitely not normal. Was this workspace made with an older FME version? If so, perhaps first try updating the reader (Right Click the reader in the Navigator window and choose Update Reader)

I suggest that because I do see this filed as an issue, but back in 2018. If the reader were the 2018 version it might still have that issue I suppose. Otherwise, that certainly does need fixing.

Badge +7

Hi Mark,

This is not the case.

The password was only visible when an out of memory exception was happening as part of an identification string. And it was not a reader but a SQL creator version 2020.1