Question

Arcgis Pro aprx projectfile encoding

• 9 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I would like to know what datasets we use. For this I would like to read the Arcgis Pro project files (.aprx). Does anyone know what encoding is used for this file type?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @michiedem​, I've tried searching around but no info has popped up as to what encoding Esri uses for their .aprx files. If it's not publicly available information then that may mean that they don't want people to know what encoding it uses. Either way you could have a go at contact their support and seeing what answers you may get from them. Good luck!

Badge +3

Hi @michiedem​, I've tried searching around but no info has popped up as to what encoding Esri uses for their .aprx files. If it's not publicly available information then that may mean that they don't want people to know what encoding it uses. Either way you could have a go at contact their support and seeing what answers you may get from them. Good luck!

I got a reply from ESRI. It seems they are not willing to share this info and advized my to wite a python script to open each Arcgis-project and log the layers in that project. Unfortunately my python skills aren't good enough for that. I guess I have to thank FME for that ;)

Badge +1

ArcGIS Pro APRX files are simply zip files.

Change the extension (maybe make a copy first) to .zip, then unzip and browse the content.

Most of the content consists of XML files representing map and layer definitions.

Badge +3

ArcGIS Pro APRX files are simply zip files.

Change the extension (maybe make a copy first) to .zip, then unzip and browse the content.

Most of the content consists of XML files representing map and layer definitions.

Thank you!!