Question

Write many excel files using a counter value in the file name without including the counter as an attribute in the output

• 2 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello!

I have a workbench in FME Desktop 2021.2 where I need to write out several XLSX files from the same dataset, with exactly 1500 rows in each, and each one named FileName_1.xlsx, FileName_2.xlsx, FileName_3.xlsx, etc.

I have managed to do this using a Counter, and ExpressionEvaluator. The ExpressionEvaluator takes the attribute from Counter (_count) and creates a new attribute called "_result" using this expression:

@floor(@Value(_count)/1500) + 1

So that gives me the sequential file numbers that I want to append to the file names based on 1500 rows in each one.

I can do this if I include the "result" attribute in the Excel writer, and use a FanOut Expression like this:

FileName_@Value(result).xlsx

This produces the Excel files with the correct file names, with 1500 rows per file.

However, my question is, how can I exclude this "result" attribute in the Excel files? I don't want that attribute being written out. If I remove it, there is then no attribute for the Fanout expression to operate on.

I thought about putting this "result" value in a variable, but I cannot seem to access this variable in the FanOut Expression. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

8 replies

Badge +2

@firsttube​ I think you must have Attribute Definition: Automatic set on the Excel Writer Feature Type User Attributes TAB. Switch to Manual and you'll have more control over the attributes you're writing out.

dialog

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

You don't need to remove the attribute, just make sure it is not defined as an attribute in the writer

Badge

@firsttube​ I think you must have Attribute Definition: Automatic set on the Excel Writer Feature Type User Attributes TAB. Switch to Manual and you'll have more control over the attributes you're writing out.

dialog

Thanks @Mark Stoakes​  I do have the Attribute Definition set to Manual.

Badge

You don't need to remove the attribute, just make sure it is not defined as an attribute in the writer

Hi @ebygomm​ , please clarify how to "make sure it is not defined as an attribute in the writer"

If I disconnect the "result" attribute, the files don't fanout.

thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Huh! I'd be quite shocked if it failed to write any data if the attribute were missing.

I did a very quick video demo here: https://www.screencast.com/t/CmGgjiZS

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

@firsttube​ This should be working for you. I've attached a small example. I'm using _creation_instance to fan out each file, but _creation_instance isn't written to the spreadsheet (as per @ebygomm​ 's image). Workspace attached (FME 2021.2)

Badge

Huh! I'd be quite shocked if it failed to write any data if the attribute were missing.

I did a very quick video demo here: https://www.screencast.com/t/CmGgjiZS

I hope this helps.

Thank you @mark2atsafe​ !! Your video made me realize that I was using the "result" attribute in the writer for the fanout parameter, but I should have been using the "_result" attribute created in the ExpressionEvaluator.

imageimageOnce I changed the Fanout expression to @Value(_result).xlsx and removed the "result" attribute from the Excel writer, it worked!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thank you @mark2atsafe​ !! Your video made me realize that I was using the "result" attribute in the writer for the fanout parameter, but I should have been using the "_result" attribute created in the ExpressionEvaluator.

imageimageOnce I changed the Fanout expression to @Value(_result).xlsx and removed the "result" attribute from the Excel writer, it worked!

Excellent. Glad it's working for you now.