Question

ArcGISOnlineConnector - what is the use of this?

• 2 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +21

Reading the documentation and online search regarding this transformer - ArcGISOnlineConnector I have some questions.

The Actions are pretty self-explanatory and it seems possible to both upload and download data from AGOL. However that does not seem to be the case. I can list every Group and item.

imageHowever when I try to Download it just says:

• cannot download file of type 'Web Scene'
  • cannot download file of type 'Scene Service'
  • cannot download file of type 'Feature Service'
  • cannot download file of type 'WMS'
  • cannot download file of type 'Geocoding Service'

I was hoping to download a Geopackage or something else. Is there anything that CAN be downloade?

Any other usage areas for this Transformer?

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

I believe you can only download items in the form they were uploaded. It's not related to the download button on AGOL which creates a download for you. Also, you cannot download a feature service as a file, maybe it could be a service definition file, but I don't think that's what you're looking for...

For example when you upload a gdb and AGOL automatically creates a feature service for it, that's two separate items, and only the gdb can be downloaded.

Badge +21

Thank you for the reply @ctredinnick - The goal is to do the following:

1. Upload a GDB or an i3s to AGOL
  2. Update those layers by a certain interval automatically using FME Server.

Based on the "Actions" described this should be possible but I havent confirmed this yet. I am also not sure if I have all the necessary permissions to perform this action. But the end goal is to be able to update without opening ArcGIS Pro and publishing every time (as mentioned here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/web-scene-layer.htm )

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

It should look something like: On AGOL have a gdb uploaded and published. Then the process in FME is to write out to a temp gdb.zip, then with the arcgisonlineconnector get the List of items in AGOL, and then Update the target gdb item with the new gdb. I don't remember if anything needs to be republished? If all the item ids stay the same, that should mean any content using the layer will still work, and the layer will use the updated data.

If you're a content creator then you should be able to test with your own content from FME Desktop.

When I tried this a while back I didn't get it working automatically from FME Server only because of authentication issues between it and our arcgis portal.

Userlevel 3
Badge +18

hi @Sigbjørn Herstad​ , if I understand well, the ArcGISOnline Connector connects to the items in AGOL (users, groups, maps, featurelayers,...) but not really to the data inside such an item.

To read/write from/to the content of a layer in AGOL itself, there's the AGOL Feature Service reader/writer, maybe that's the way to go?

Badge +2

Thank you for the reply @ctredinnick - The goal is to do the following:

1. Upload a GDB or an i3s to AGOL
  2. Update those layers by a certain interval automatically using FME Server.

Based on the "Actions" described this should be possible but I havent confirmed this yet. I am also not sure if I have all the necessary permissions to perform this action. But the end goal is to be able to update without opening ArcGIS Pro and publishing every time (as mentioned here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/web-scene-layer.htm )

Hi @Sigbjørn Herstad​ . I've been looking at the same workflow too, specifically being able to update a scene layer without having to create a new service each time (trying i3s & geodatabase). Did you manage to find a solution to this?

Badge +12

This is an interesting question did you figure out anything about i3s at all?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

This is an interesting question did you figure out anything about i3s at all?

Hello @geogaard​ , thanks for inquiring. Unfortunately, I don't think there's been any new support or development on this. May be worth commenting your use case and upvoting this idea: Add support for downloading Scene Services to the ArcGISOnlineConnector, (if your goal was to download Scene Services using FME's ArcGISOnlineConnector). Best, Kailin.