Solved

Job queues with time limitations ?

• 2 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi.

Our main production FME server only has two engines, and its primary function reserves one engine for its function. This leaves a single engine for all other jobs.

But the primary function only runs from 06-18 (6AM-6PM), so it's basically idle for 12 hours, in the period where a lot of maintenance jobs are run.

Is it possible to set time limitations on queues, so some jobs may be run on the reserved engine from 18-06, i.e. during the night ?

I'm running 2020.2.5, and here it's not an apparent option.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 2 February 2022, 18:24

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

There is no option within the Queue feature itself to set this up, but there is an existing idea that I would recommend you add your vote to.

It is possible to update a queue definition using the REST API endpoint PUT /transformations/jobroutes/tags/< tag >, so you could set up a schedule at 6PM and 6AM to make a call to this endpoint redefining the default queue so that the reserved engine is assigned to it during this time period.

Note: The endpoint refers to tag, this is legacy terminology but is what we now know as a queue in FME Server.

I would recommend that you set this up in an Automation that contains a Schedule Trigger > HTTPRequest Action, this way you don't need to run a job to perform the update - which relies on there being a free engine:

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 9.23.52 AM 

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

There is no option within the Queue feature itself to set this up, but there is an existing idea that I would recommend you add your vote to.

It is possible to update a queue definition using the REST API endpoint PUT /transformations/jobroutes/tags/< tag >, so you could set up a schedule at 6PM and 6AM to make a call to this endpoint redefining the default queue so that the reserved engine is assigned to it during this time period.

Note: The endpoint refers to tag, this is legacy terminology but is what we now know as a queue in FME Server.

I would recommend that you set this up in an Automation that contains a Schedule Trigger > HTTPRequest Action, this way you don't need to run a job to perform the update - which relies on there being a free engine:

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 9.23.52 AM 

Thanks Holly.

This is an ingenious way of making a dynamic resource allocation, although it's not the easiest way. I would very much prefer it to be an integrated part of the web user interface.

Your example bypasses the need for a token. Is this not necessary within the server confines ?

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Thanks Holly.

This is an ingenious way of making a dynamic resource allocation, although it's not the easiest way. I would very much prefer it to be an integrated part of the web user interface.

Your example bypasses the need for a token. Is this not necessary within the server confines ?

Cheers

Ok, it works :-)

Badge +2

Thanks Holly.

Cheers

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

I'm glad you were able to get this to work! In the HTTP Request action, I'm using basic authorization with username/password as opposed to a token because this action is a little limited in comparison to the HTTPCaller in FMEWorkbench and does not have a parameter to set up any headers.