Solved

FME Server unable to find ESRI License

• 2 February 2022
  • 17 replies

Badge +7

Hi All, 

50	2022-2-2 18:19:13 | The Esri Product license used by this machine does not include licenses for the 'Advanced' licensing level
51 2022-2-2 18:19:13 | Unable to perform any licensing related tasks. Please check your Esri ArcGIS Compatibility setting. This 64-bit version of FME requires ArcGIS Desktop along with 64-bit Background Geoprocessing; ArcGIS Pro; or ArcGIS Enterprise. Refer to this this article http://fme.ly/qua for more details
52 2022-2-2 18:19:13 | A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

We have FME Server 2021.2.2 running with ArcGIS Pro. 

We have logged into Pro with a ESRI named user 'gisadmin_acc', this has an advance level license assigned to it. Pro opens and runs fine on the server machine. 

We installed FME Server using an admin account called sa-pandora-fme

We also installed ArcGIS Pro with this same sa-pandora-fme account.

The instructions we have been following are here - https://community.safe.com/s/article/Using-ArcGIS-Pro-with-FME-Server#useracount

This screenshot shows the current admin account that installed FME. And in the background you can see I am logged into ArcGIS Pro with the username gisadmin_acc

As per the instructions pasted above, the Application Server, Server Core and Server Engines are all using the same account.

I am not sure what else to do, this is a fresh install, it just keeps throwing the ESRI error above. The same workbench works fine on my local machine logged in a me.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

icon

Best answer by merlinegeorge 25 May 2023, 19:20

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

First thing that popped to mind was compatibility between versions. But because you're running 2021.2.2 you should be fine with all current ArcGIS releases

https://community.safe.com/s/article/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility

Badge +6

Hi @benvk​ , I believe the account running FME Server does need need to be configured to have access to ArcGIS Pro licensing. here is a good overview of the different installation scenarios in our article for Using ArcGIS Pro with FME Server.

Badge +7

Hi @benvk​ , I believe the account running FME Server does need need to be configured to have access to ArcGIS Pro licensing. here is a good overview of the different installation scenarios in our article for Using ArcGIS Pro with FME Server.

Hi @jennaatsafe​ 

In my original post I did link to the specific chapter of that article that we followed to get where we are now. (https://community.safe.com/s/article/Using-ArcGIS-Pro-with-FME-Server#useracount)

Did you have anything in particular that you think may be causing this error?

I really think that FME Server just has no idea that it has access to the ESRI License, but I have no idea how to get the two softwares to hold hands and work together.

Thanks for your time.

Badge +7

First thing that popped to mind was compatibility between versions. But because you're running 2021.2.2 you should be fine with all current ArcGIS releases

https://community.safe.com/s/article/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility

Thanks for your time @hkingsbury, I can confirm that we are running the latest FME Server with 2.9.x ArcPro which appears to be compatible per the link you shared.

Badge +6

Hi @jennaatsafe​ 

In my original post I did link to the specific chapter of that article that we followed to get where we are now. (https://community.safe.com/s/article/Using-ArcGIS-Pro-with-FME-Server#useracount)

Did you have anything in particular that you think may be causing this error?

I really think that FME Server just has no idea that it has access to the ESRI License, but I have no idea how to get the two softwares to hold hands and work together.

Thanks for your time.

Oh, apologies! I assumed that article was a different one without clicking it.

Did you possibly have a previous installation of ArcGIS? If you had a previous version of ArcGIS installed before installing a newer version, the pervious version's background geoprocessing may not have properly uninstalled. You could try installing the matching version of background geoprocessing for your new ArcGIS installation.

Badge +10

I had the same issue when I ran a workspace. It turns out that the portal listed was www.arcgis.com instead of the online portal for my company. Here are the steps that I took to resolve the issue.

1. Lauch ArcGIS Pro from the FME Server using the service account or the account used to run the service.
  2. Once the screen is displayed. The generic portal was displayed.
  3. Generic ArcGIS Portal
  4. Select settings then Licensing
  5. Click the "Configure your licensing options"
  6. Enter you license information and the online portal URL used by your company and click the <OK> button. ArcGIS Pro will need to shut down.
  7. List Company Portal URL
  8. Relaunch ArcGIS Pro; the correct online portal should now be displayed.

Correct Online Portal Displayed

Badge

Any update?

Badge +5

Hello @teekskirra82​ ,

Are you encountering the same issue as the main posted question? If not, could you please elaborate on the issue?

Hello @benvk​ , were you able to solve the problem? I'm running into the same issue on an FME Server that formerly worked with the same ArcSDE database.

Badge +7

Hello @benvk​ , were you able to solve the problem? I'm running into the same issue on an FME Server that formerly worked with the same ArcSDE database.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the specific solution, but I do recollect at some point we uninstalled both FME Server and ArcGIS Pro, then reinstalled. This fixed whatever problem we were having at that time, and I presume it was this problem that we were working on.

Sorry I didnt document it properly and close off this thread.

Badge

@ainohelle​ 

I was told by support:

To meet ESRI's license terms and for us to offer support, ArcGIS Server must be installed and licensed on the same machine as FME Server. ArcGIS Server Basic Edition is sufficient for FME Server. If you have an enterprise license, you should be able to install another instance of ArcGIS Server on the FME Server machine. This documentation from ESRI may help: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/install/windows/installing-arcgis-for-server-on-multiple-machines.htm

Badge

I added comments in another case that seems similar to this case...my comment was to try setting FME Server to run (in Windows Services--'LogOn As') with the (logged-in) AD user associated with the ArcPro license....otherwise FME Server doesn't seem to know how to find the ArcPro license (which is probably a cookie in the user's AppData folder, or somewhere else that FME Server can't figure out how to get to)...https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q000080hA1dSAE/fme-bat-file-works-manually-but-task-scheduler-errors-bc-cant-see-arcgis-pro-is-installed

Badge +7

I added comments in another case that seems similar to this case...my comment was to try setting FME Server to run (in Windows Services--'LogOn As') with the (logged-in) AD user associated with the ArcPro license....otherwise FME Server doesn't seem to know how to find the ArcPro license (which is probably a cookie in the user's AppData folder, or somewhere else that FME Server can't figure out how to get to)...https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q000080hA1dSAE/fme-bat-file-works-manually-but-task-scheduler-errors-bc-cant-see-arcgis-pro-is-installed

Hi, I know this ticket is now quite old, but the exact same issue raised its head just last month, when updating FME Server to the latest version.

We tried everything we could find online, nothing seemed to work for us. In the end, by chance, we uninstalled ArcGIS Pro, and installed ArcMap on the same machine as FME Server, as soon as we did this FME Server was able to pick up the license.

It is very frustrating that this took a couple of days to work out, nothing in the documentation pointed to this being a solution, but it worked for us. Now we have not tried to install ArcPro on the server out of fear it will break our working system...

Cheers

Badge +5

Hello @benvk​ ,

Apologies for this issue but unfortunately as mentioned in the comment above by tslack- while it is technically possible for FME Server to use ArcGIS Pro, the use of ArcGIS Pro in a server context and the synchronous runtime use of ArcGIS Pro by FME Server violates Esri's license terms. Please see Esri’s article on this topic, "How does Data Interoperability relate to FME? ", for more information, or contact your Esri account manager for more clarification of Esri’s licensing terms.

Badge +10

It is not a violation of ESRI policy to use ArcGIS Pro with FME Server using an advance license. The violation occurs when a basic ArcGIS Pro license is used. License issues occurred because we have implemented ArcGIS Pro using a named advance license; name licenses perform a license check and issue a token when the application is launched on the server to validate the license. Unfortunately, ArcGIS Pro is never launched on either node of the FME Server; FME Server uses ArcGIS Pro to access the ESRI translations when executing FME workspaces. Since the application is never launched, the license is never checked, and no token is issued to validate the license. Luckily, it took about six months before we began having license issues.

ESRI suggested changing the license type from a named advance license to a single use license. The license has been issued for the FME Server service account. The service account is the only user authorized to use the license. Single use licenses do not perform any license checks, so the application does not need to be launched. So far this has been working with no issues.

Badge +14

Just tackled this error message for a customer. The thing that resolved it was getting a single use license of Pro.

Badge +1

ESRI suggested changing the license type from a named advance license to a single use license. The license has been issued for the FME Server service account. The service account is the only user authorized to use the license. Single use licenses do not perform any license checks, so the application does not need to be launched. So far this has been working with no issues.

I experienced this issue while building FME Flow and I found that in my case I had to open ArcGIS Pro as the service account (running my FME services) in order ArcGIS Pro to create the license files FME is looking for in C:\Users\accountname\AppData\Local\ESRI_Licensing\lss.dat. I am using an ESRI single use license with permission from my ESRI vendor with ArcGIS Pro on our FME Flow server.