Question

Arabic Font display Issue

• 2 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello Friends,

I'm new to FME.

Here I'm facing a new issue about Arabic Font is not displaying properly after conversion. Converted data from shapefile to dgn with tags. in the dgn attribute field Arabic font is displayed as some special characters, but in the shapefile, it's displayed correctly. I would like to convert vice versa.

legends, please help.

Ps. sample csv file attached for your reference.

Regards,

3 replies

Userlevel 4

I don't have a specific answer, but perhaps try using the FME 2022 beta. There has been a lot of work put into FME 2022 to support mixed character sets, so it might be worth it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Can you add Arabic text directly to a tag using MicroStation? I ask because I wonder if the font used in MicroStation does not support Arabic text?

The other thing to ask is, is FME reading the Shapefile correctly? If you read it with the FME Data Inspector, does it look correct? If not you need to set the encoding in the reader. If you set the encoding in the reader and it still looks bad then it is probably because your computer doesn't have the correct locale.

If possible, stick to UTF-8 encoding, because that is a better way to preserve these characters without having to be concerned about which codepage to use on different machines.

Can you add Arabic text directly to a tag using MicroStation? I ask because I wonder if the font used in MicroStation does not support Arabic text?

The other thing to ask is, is FME reading the Shapefile correctly? If you read it with the FME Data Inspector, does it look correct? If not you need to set the encoding in the reader. If you set the encoding in the reader and it still looks bad then it is probably because your computer doesn't have the correct locale.

If possible, stick to UTF-8 encoding, because that is a better way to preserve these characters without having to be concerned about which codepage to use on different machines.

Thanks, Mr. Mark for your reply,

I noticed that in MicroStation text editor, Arabic fonts are properly displayed, when it comes to tag editor it's gone wrong, displaying as some special characters. 

SC Attached.

Regards,

for forum enquiry - Copy