Question

Updating arcsde records with new geometries fails for some and not others

• 28 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello Brains trust , hoping someone out there can help me.

My workspace is as follows.

2 arcsde feature readers.

sde1 contains records and attributes that are pulled from a number of sources to create areas of interest.

sde2 contains one of the source datasets that are used to update sde1.

sde2 is also a source of truth dataset so the geometries are the most current.

nb - the sde's have been maintained using ESRI not FME - trying to automate the process.

My work flow checks the geometries of sde2 against sde1 and were they don't match I use sde2 geometries to UPDATE the sde1 records (i use the fme_db_operation attribute to identify that it is an UPDATE and i keep the attributes from sde1). Simple enough. However, some work and some don't when writing (have been using a process of elimination to narrow down the records that write and don't but nothing in particular is jumping out).

The error FME is giving for the records when it fails to write is

imageimage 

I have written the complete update records to a normal gdb with no errors, so am wondering what else to look for.

Thanks in advance

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @lj7​ , thank you for providing so much detail! From the error, it looks like a time out or dropped connection. Is your database in the cloud or on a VM? If you were to run this workspace again, would it fail on the same feature or a different feature?

You can try to add a breakpoint before your writer feature type, to step through your features. Breakpoints can be helpful when you suspect a particular feature is causing a problem. It may help you catch any inconsistencies before you try writing! Best, Kailin.

Hello @lj7​ , thank you for providing so much detail! From the error, it looks like a time out or dropped connection. Is your database in the cloud or on a VM? If you were to run this workspace again, would it fail on the same feature or a different feature?

You can try to add a breakpoint before your writer feature type, to step through your features. Breakpoints can be helpful when you suspect a particular feature is causing a problem. It may help you catch any inconsistencies before you try writing! Best, Kailin.

Thanks @kailinatsafe​, I used the breakpoint to help step through the records, however there was no obvious difference between what failed and what worked - some records were multipart polygons or simple polygons and both types failed or wrote. What has worked is getting the spatial index rebuilt on the sde for the dataset i was updating. Now how to ensure that when the process is automated it doesn't fail again due to that!