Question

3D Mesh Tiling

• 27 January 2022
  • 5 replies

To whom may concern,

We are currently trying to upload a 6GB obj mesh model to cesium ion, but errors showed up when retrieving the model. The mesh model was created from Reality Capture. As suggested by cesium team , we are looking for a way to tile the mesh or chop it up into small pieces. FME seems to be capable of doing this, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do that. An ideal result is attached below. 

image5Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @andrewguo​,

We have added surface clipping to FME 2022. Please try the attached workspace that illustrates how to use the Tiler and Clipper transformers to tile a Mesh:

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 3.49.33 PM

Hi @andrewguo​,

We have added surface clipping to FME 2022. Please try the attached workspace that illustrates how to use the Tiler and Clipper transformers to tile a Mesh:

Hi @daveatsafe​ , thanks for replying!

I'll have a look.

Hi @andrewguo​,

Hi @daveatsafe​ , I have been trying to export tiles using the file you kindly sent me.

It could be seen that the mesh was tiled in FME 3d viewer. However, the texture was not attached.

And, instead of exported into multiple tile files, the result was in a single obj file.

The workflow is shown below:

CaptureAny suggestions will be appreciated!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @daveatsafe​ , I have been trying to export tiles using the file you kindly sent me.

It could be seen that the mesh was tiled in FME 3d viewer. However, the texture was not attached.

And, instead of exported into multiple tile files, the result was in a single obj file.

Hi @andrewguo​,

To export to multiple file, please set the fanout in the writer.

The first step is to transfer the row and column info from the Tiler to the Clipped features by enabling the Merge Attributes option on the Clipper transformer:

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.12.34 AMNow that the row and column are on the the tiles, we can add them to the output OBJ file name:

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.13.01 AMFor the missing textures, please ensure that the texture image files and .mtl material file are in the appropriate location with respect to the input OBJ file.

Hi @daveatsafe​ ,

Thank you for your timely reply.

I have tried the settings you presented above and the obj tiles are exported separately!

However, I noticed that the exported texture is still in one piece which means the tiles can't be colorized separately. And it was proved that when I uploaded the zipped file to cesium, the tiles are merged into one mesh model. Besides, no texture is displayed and no geoinformation included for that model.

I'm wondering if there is a way to:

1. Chop up the texture according to the exported obj tiles.
  2. Display the textured tiles individually in cesium.

Any information will be appreciated!