Question

What's Up Wednesday (26-Jan-2022): Conference Training, Encoding in 2022, and Workspace Comparisons.

• 26 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello, FMEers. Here's the latest news for you...

Conference Training

A traditional part of the FME User Conference is pre-conference training.

WUW-2022-01-26-1 

As we plan for the upcoming conference, we're gathering interest on training course topics and welcome your feedback. We've created a survey that lets you vote for existing course ideas or submit your own. If you are interested in filling it out, we'd appreciate you doing so by Feb 4th.

If you already signed up for training courses from a previous postponed UC, don't worry. We will be in touch with details of any changes.

World Tour Registrations

Speaking of FME events, registration is now open for the upcoming FME World Tour. The theme this year... performance and power in the form of motor racing!

WUW-2022-01-26-2 

So "put your pedal to the metal" and visit the World Tour website to browse the schedule of events and see when the World Tour is at a venue near you. Don't forget to click on the Virtual button too, to find online events. Safe's official events are online this year, on April 5th/6th.

Sneak Peek: Encoding in FME 2022

I hope you managed to catch the presentation on Encoding in 2022 yesterday, despite my time zone mishap. This was the first in a series of Sneak Peek presentations that I have planned for the coming weeks.

WUW-2022-01-26-3 

Not only did we cover encoding, but also touched on bulk mode, performance, Python, and what you need to know about SDKs in 2022.

You can find a recording of the event on either Twitch or YouTube. Please do hit the follow button on either platform (or both!) because more followers = more tools available to make these videos entertaining!

User/Community Posts

One of the few German words I know is bearbeiten - processing - so I'm guessing con terra's latest FME zum Kaffee video is all about processing date attributes.

WUW-2022-01-26-4 

So take a look and let me know if I'm wrong or right!

Did you see the FME Karol Francis' presentation on State Highway Logs for the FME Transportation Group on LinkedIn? If not, that too is available to watch on YouTube.

Workspace Comparison Tool

With multiple FME authors working on a project, there can be multiple versions of a single workspace. To allow authors to compare different versions, FME 2022 will have a new workspace comparison tool, and today that tool appears in the FME beta build for the first time.

WUW-2022-01-26-5 

So download and install the beta if you want to try it out, and then let us know what you think about it.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

@mark2atsafe​ Thanks for share this interesting What's Up Wednesday.

The comparison tool is very interesting.

Badge +13

@mark2atsafe​ I really love the Comparison tool in terms of functionality. This saves so much time and headaches when figuring out the differences between two files. Can't wait for this to come out.

Still I have some feedback (using build 22278).

• When using the 'Filter by component type', so switching some of the categories off, it would be nice if the button would be active. That way you have a visual reminder that you're using the filter.
  • When merging an new AttributeManager with a new connection somehow I can't select both at the same time. I have to first merge the AttributeManager and only then I can merge the new connection.
  • Sometimes I see a number 2 next to a gear but it's not clear what the meaning of that is.

Do you have at Safe some best practice of keeping FME workspaces organised? I find it difficult to work with collegeaues on multiple files, have a test version, production version and versions on FME Server. On FME Server there is ofcourse the ability to use GIT, but there is never really just one single file that you can say with 100% certainty is the latest version.

I can really see some deeper integration of GIT and the Comparision Tool as the next step for keeping organised.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@mark2atsafe​ I really love the Comparison tool in terms of functionality. This saves so much time and headaches when figuring out the differences between two files. Can't wait for this to come out.

• When using the 'Filter by component type', so switching some of the categories off, it would be nice if the button would be active. That way you have a visual reminder that you're using the filter.
  • When merging an new AttributeManager with a new connection somehow I can't select both at the same time. I have to first merge the AttributeManager and only then I can merge the new connection.
  • Sometimes I see a number 2 next to a gear but it's not clear what the meaning of that is.

Do you have at Safe some best practice of keeping FME workspaces organised? I find it difficult to work with collegeaues on multiple files, have a test version, production version and versions on FME Server. On FME Server there is ofcourse the ability to use GIT, but there is never really just one single file that you can say with 100% certainty is the latest version.

I can really see some deeper integration of GIT and the Comparision Tool as the next step for keeping organised.

Hi @matthieuv​ - I passed this feedback on to our developers and they are looking into it and will likely make some refinements. At this point, it's a bit too late for 2022.0, but they are planning updates for 2022.1 for sure. Thank you so much for taking the time to try out the functionality and for letting us know what you think.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Oh, I meant to add that yes, I think some type of better integration with GIT (or similar) is definitely on our roadmap. I don't know when it will happen, but I am sure it will. When I work with colleagues on a group project, I try to split it up into multiple parts, each of which is a custom transformer. Then each part is a separate file and different authors can work on different parts of the project without interfering with each other. I know this is not the ideal solution, but until we get a better repository tool, I think it's a good practice to try this.