Question

Is it possible to prepopulate a survey123 field with data from a google .kml file using FME Desktop?

• 20 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

I build a .kml polygon from information contained in a .pdf file we receive for utility location planning print requests. The polygon has attributes with contact info, start date, bounding box long/lat coordinates, etc... I also have a utility locate app in ArcGIS Online that contains a survey 123 form, a webmap, and a dashboard for tracking the requests. I would like to auto populate the survey123 form with the data from the .kml including the polygon bounding box if possible.

It sounds like it should be doable from this: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000017982

Could an httpcaller put transformer send the custom url to survey 123?

Thanks for any insight you care to share.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @olpotosi​,

From reading that doc, it looks like the pre-populate info must be sent to survey123 in the same URL that calls the form. I don't the HTTPCaller would be helpful here, since it can't display the returned web form.

However, FME can build the pre-populated URLS for you from the KML file, then pass them to your app. this would work best if your workspace was published to FME Server, so that it could be run through the REST API.

Badge +7

Hi @olpotosi​,

From reading that doc, it looks like the pre-populate info must be sent to survey123 in the same URL that calls the form. I don't the HTTPCaller would be helpful here, since it can't display the returned web form.

However, FME can build the pre-populated URLS for you from the KML file, then pass them to your app. this would work best if your workspace was published to FME Server, so that it could be run through the REST API.

Hi Daveatsafe-

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure so I appreciate your insight and suggestion. My long term goal is to string several workspaces together for processing these requests without having to manually create a response. So far I have a workspace to parse an emailed .pdf request and create the .kml, a workspace to clip the CAD utility map to the .kml boundary, and this workspace for updating the AGOL app. Once I have the steps working I am hoping to publish to server as you suggest. Thanks for your help.