Solved

FeatureReader fme_feature_type. Cannot see Feature Classes in FeatureDataset from File Geodatabse

• 19 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +8

Hi All, I am stuck trying to figure this out. I am having trouble seeing feature classes inside FeatureDatasets using the FeatureReader. My Feature Types to Read is fme_feature_type_name and I am exposing fme_feature_type and geodb_metadata_string. All seems to work for feature classes but FCs in FeatureDatasets are skipped in Generic. They come across in the Initiator though. See screen cap below. I must be missing something simple. Any thoughts? FeatureReader

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 21 January 2022, 18:39

View original

7 replies

Badge +2

@crutledge​ It looks like you are using the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) to read your File Geodb. Can you confirm that?

The FeatureReader with the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) shouldn't have any trouble reading Feature Classes within a Feature Dataset. The fme_feature_type should include the Feature Dataset, i.e. Water_Distribution/wLateralLine

Are you using any other Constraints in the FeatureReader such as a SpatialFilter or Feature Types to Read?

Badge +8

@crutledge​ It looks like you are using the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) to read your File Geodb. Can you confirm that?

The FeatureReader with the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) shouldn't have any trouble reading Feature Classes within a Feature Dataset. The fme_feature_type should include the Feature Dataset, i.e. Water_Distribution/wLateralLine

Are you using any other Constraints in the FeatureReader such as a SpatialFilter or Feature Types to Read?

@markatsafe Thanks for the time and suggestions. See screen caps below. First screencap is the any schema reader Input Format (REAL_FORMAT_SCHEMA) setting that I had and passes onto the FeatureReader. This set up is having trouble reading the Feature Classes within FeatureDatasets and passing that onto fme_feature_type (I think?). My first screen cap above is the results after a run. Second screencap is the reader Input Format that I checked and changed based on your suggestion (thank you!) to Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb). This set up works well. Yay! Third screencap below is the results after a run and all is now well in FME land. Many thanks! My follow up question is am I correct in thinking that I had not set up the any schema reader correctly? I must have missed a step from what I had read in the tutorials and forums. Any thoughts as to why this performs differently? i.e. Not drilling down through the FeatureDataset to get the Feature Class names? All the best and thanks again. c. [Graphical user interface, text, application, email Description automatically generated][Graphical user interface, text, application, email Description automatically generated][A picture containing graphical user interface Description automatically generated]
Badge +8
@markatsafe Thanks for the time and suggestions. See screen caps below. First screencap is the any schema reader Input Format (REAL_FORMAT_SCHEMA) setting that I had and passes onto the FeatureReader. This set up is having trouble reading the Feature Classes within FeatureDatasets and passing that onto fme_feature_type (I think?). My first screen cap above is the results after a run. Second screencap is the reader Input Format that I checked and changed based on your suggestion (thank you!) to Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb). This set up works well. Yay! Third screencap below is the results after a run and all is now well in FME land. Many thanks! My follow up question is am I correct in thinking that I had not set up the any schema reader correctly? I must have missed a step from what I had read in the tutorials and forums. Any thoughts as to why this performs differently? i.e. Not drilling down through the FeatureDataset to get the Feature Class names? All the best and thanks again. c. [Graphical user interface, text, application, email Description automatically generated][Graphical user interface, text, application, email Description automatically generated][A picture containing graphical user interface Description automatically generated]

Screencaps did not come through with the reply. Here are the three in order referenced above.

Schema1Schema2FeatureReader2

Badge +2

@crutledge​ The "Generic (Any Format)" format seems to work OK, returning both the Feature Class and the Feature Dataset for either "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API)" format or "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb)" format (I'm using FME 2021.2) .

Schema (Any Format) will only return schema features - redundant in the FeatureReader since it has a <schema> port

Badge +8

@crutledge​ The "Generic (Any Format)" format seems to work OK, returning both the Feature Class and the Feature Dataset for either "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API)" format or "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb)" format (I'm using FME 2021.2) .

Schema (Any Format) will only return schema features - redundant in the FeatureReader since it has a <schema> port

@markatsafe Thanks Mark. Follow up question: In terms of workflow, do I need the FeatureReader or could I go from the Schema (Any Format) reader to the AttributeExposer. Sorry if that's a silly question but I read 'redundant' and wondering if I can make the workflow more efficient. As always thanks for sharing your knowledge.

c.

Badge +2

@markatsafe Thanks Mark. Follow up question: In terms of workflow, do I need the FeatureReader or could I go from the Schema (Any Format) reader to the AttributeExposer. Sorry if that's a silly question but I read 'redundant' and wondering if I can make the workflow more efficient. As always thanks for sharing your knowledge.

c.

@crutledge​ I'm not sure I understand your question. Perhaps you can expand a little on what you're trying to accomplish overall. But if you just want the schema then either the 'Schema (Any Format)' reader or the FeatureReader <schema> port should return the attribute{} list of the schema and you should need the AttributeExposer.

Badge +8

c.

Thanks for your answer Mark. That makes sense now. That got me working. I am setting up a metadata reader from geodb to write that out to excel and was having trouble with the initial read. This works well now. Thanks again!