Solved

ArcGIS Metadata Read in Base64 Thumbnail

• 14 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

Hi All,

I am sure I am missing something simple. I am setting up a workspace to read in FileGDB metadata and write that out to a spreadsheet. Seems fine but I would also like to work with the base 64 thumbnail. I can write that out to a cell but having problems making use of the thumbnail in this format. I tried using BinaryDecoder and RasterReplacer but generate an error below. Any thoughts? Many thanks.

Additionally....if there is a better way to work with the thumbnail in an ESRI File GDB please suggest. Thanks again!

I keep on plugging away at this. One thing that puzzles me is I can take the thumbnail base64 text from Binary.Thumbnail.Data and get a jpg from one of those online Base64 to jpg converters so the string from the xml metadata is valid it seems. Just cannot get a read on it in FME. Thoughts? Thanks!

BinaryDecoder (TextEncoderFactory): Invalid Base64 character '0'+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Feature Type: `XMLFlattener_3_OUTPUT'

Attribute(encoded: UTF-16LE): `Data' has value `/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/4RDoRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABAE7AAIAAAAKAAAISodpAAQA

AAABAAAIVJydAAEAAAAUAAAQzOocAAcAAAgMAAAAPgAAAAAc6gAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 14 January 2022, 23:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @crutledge​,

I think it may be due to your Data attribute being encoded UTF-16LE. Please use an AttributeEncoder to convert to UTF-8 before going to the Binary Decoder. UTF-8 uses the same encoding as ASCII for the characters used in Base64.

Badge +8

Detail oriented. Yes it looks like that was it. Thanks for the Eagle Eye on spotting that encoding difference. Much appreciated.

Best,

c.