Solved

Documentation on FME Data express

• 14 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +13

Hello all,

I was planning to do a small workshop on FME Data Express... While preparing this, I found shockingly little information on the specific parameters I could use to interact with some specific phone-app functionality.

This ... was the most informative post, noting 'We are still working on our documentation.' two years ago.

• How do I make the app ask for a QR-code?
  • Can I somehow consume a picture?
  • I seem to be able to get the location of the device with a specially named text-parameter. Are there more of those?

Please, give this app some tender love and care in the documentation. Give it a technical blog-post and some example workspaces one can upload to ones own server as a startingpoint..

Martin

icon

Best answer by lenaatsafe 21 January 2022, 04:31

View original

5 replies

Badge

Hi Martin,

thank you for your feedback. I 100% agree it is time to get more information available for users. We will be working on documentation and other resources this year, your post certainly brought up an important point.

Let me answer your questions:

• any Text user parameter can be used to read a QR-code, no special naming required;
  • to be able to use a picture as a parameter value, you need File/URL user parameter;
  • if the name of the File/URL parameter ends with _JPEG, in Data Express it will allow you to snap a picture using your camera, or select an image from the Gallery, or select a raster file stored on your device;
  • for location, you need a Text user parameter, its name should end with _LOCATION_ ;
  • at the moment, there are no other special parameters in Data Express.

Please don't hesitate to e-mail me at Lena.Bagh@safe.com or add a comment in this post if you have further questions or suggestions.

Thank you.

Lena

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi all, I've very keen to know when more documentation might come out?

Especially any pending changes around anchor vs the (default) viewpoint = fme_location_feature. Apparently the value must be viewpoint explicitly and not have any text suffix or it doesn't show. Its also not clear how these locations can be moved/replaced to account for initial lat/long poor GPS accuracy. It Australia, we will have 1-5cm mobile SBAS (SouthPan) accuracy but not until 2028. The Geometry user parameters in map view, nicely shows the GPS accuracy as a buffer/circle... but does not display the actual error range number to the user like an external GNSS does, which means when the model is placed, users get confused by the mis-alignment to the real world.

I also need tips on troubleshooting/debugging data express "timeouts" when using the data streaming or data download services. In your workbench t it appears good practice to than one Writer to FME AR format when publishing more than one service. FME Server parameters in the dataset file path tend not to work well with Data Streaming or Data Download in my experience.

Ahref hyperlinking in the fme_feature_summary format attribute would be a brilliant addition and make the FME AR app task actionable.

Making fme_feature_summary more than two lines would be neat. I know in iOS thats all the real estate it has available to it. In Android the summaries are true labels above the objects

The FME AR app is really good, but I feel we are publishing workspace/services with little controls from the workbench perspective

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi all, I've very keen to know when more documentation might come out?

Especially any pending changes around anchor vs the (default) viewpoint = fme_location_feature. Apparently the value must be viewpoint explicitly and not have any text suffix or it doesn't show. Its also not clear how these locations can be moved/replaced to account for initial lat/long poor GPS accuracy. It Australia, we will have 1-5cm mobile SBAS (SouthPan) accuracy but not until 2028. The Geometry user parameters in map view, nicely shows the GPS accuracy as a buffer/circle... but does not display the actual error range number to the user like an external GNSS does, which means when the model is placed, users get confused by the mis-alignment to the real world.

I also need tips on troubleshooting/debugging data express "timeouts" when using the data streaming or data download services. In your workbench t it appears good practice to than one Writer to FME AR format when publishing more than one service. FME Server parameters in the dataset file path tend not to work well with Data Streaming or Data Download in my experience.

Ahref hyperlinking in the fme_feature_summary format attribute would be a brilliant addition and make the FME AR app task actionable.

Making fme_feature_summary more than two lines would be neat. I know in iOS thats all the real estate it has available to it. In Android the summaries are true labels above the objects

The FME AR app is really good, but I feel we are publishing workspace/services with little controls from the workbench perspective

Hi @jamesb16otterill​ I've reached out to the Mobile Apps team with your questions and shared your suggestions/feedback and will let you know when I've heard from them. For documentation, this is something the team is currently working on adding. At the moment we are updating our Getting Started with FME Data Express Article and a FME AR Landing Page article to reflect the most up-to-date version of each application.

Thank you as always for your patience. We understand that the mobile applications are in need of some documentation revamp, and the team is working hard to get that out there for our users.

Badge +13

Hi @jamesb16otterill​ I've reached out to the Mobile Apps team with your questions and shared your suggestions/feedback and will let you know when I've heard from them. For documentation, this is something the team is currently working on adding. At the moment we are updating our Getting Started with FME Data Express Article and a FME AR Landing Page article to reflect the most up-to-date version of each application.

Thank you as always for your patience. We understand that the mobile applications are in need of some documentation revamp, and the team is working hard to get that out there for our users.

🙏♥️

Hey Martin,

tijd niet gezien (or rather read).

Maybe this is an interesting post for you :

https://community.safe.com/s/article/getting-started-with-fme-mobile