Question

How to select ArcInfo coverage files and merge them

• 12 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone,

I should start by saying I'm an FME beginner user. I'm currently toying with an old ESRI coverage dataset that still has some importance. The files are split by index (grid) and so each layer is stored in a separate folder like shown below. My goal is to extract the data from only one theme ("batim_p" which is building point data) and to merge it into a unique layer. Although the schema is always the same, it is possible that some index folder do not hosts the data folder.

folder structure

The thing is that I have an arcpy script that does this within about 40 mins but the FME process I constructed (which basically is only a feature reader) takes almost 10 hours to do about the same thing. I believe my problem comes from the fact that the reader scans EVERYTHING, although I have only selected the feature type of interest in the initial parameters.

Reader parametersselected feature type 

So I tried to work around this by using a Path/Directory reader to extract the folder name and THEN use a featureReader to get the data but somehow I can't seem to be able to get the attribute schema.

imageimage 

Can anyone help me figure this out please?

Kind regards,

Anne-Marie

1 reply

well apparently I wasn't so far off. Turns out that all I was missing from my first try was to expose attributes in my FeatureReader parameters.

And now I have a schema!