Question

In an FME Server App is it possible to disable the 'run' button until the input file is 100% uploaded? If the user presses 'Run' too soon the uploaded file cannot be found by the workspace

In an FME Server App is it possible to disable the 'run' button until the input file is 100% uploaded? If the user presses 'Run' too soon the uploaded file cannot be found by the workspace

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

That's a question you could raise with our support team - see safe.com/support - it may be that there is no workaround but asking always increases our awareness of an issue.

Badge +2

Hi @bbnj356​ ,

This sounds like incorrect behaviour. In my testing on FME Server 2021.2 I was not able to reproduce the issue you described. When I tried to press run before a file was fully uploaded I see the error 'Value is required':

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 3.22.35 PM 

What version of FME Server are you working with?

Hi @bbnj356​ ,

This sounds like incorrect behaviour. In my testing on FME Server 2021.2 I was not able to reproduce the issue you described. When I tried to press run before a file was fully uploaded I see the error 'Value is required':

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 3.22.35 PM 

What version of FME Server are you working with?

Hi @hollyatsafe​ ,

thanks for the reply! The FME server version we are working with is: FME Server 2020.2.3

Build 20820 - win64

Badge +2

Hi @hollyatsafe​ ,

thanks for the reply! The FME server version we are working with is: FME Server 2020.2.3

Build 20820 - win64

Hi @bbnj356​ ,

Curious, I have tested in the same build but am still unable to run a workspace app if the file upload has not completed.

When you wait for the file upload to say 100% and then click run do you still experience this error?

Can you go Resources > System > temp > upload > <Repository> > <Workspace> and do you see a folder from the app submission time that contains the uploaded file?

Is it possible you are running low on disk space and these files are being removed by an aggressive cleanup task? If this is the case you should be able to see it in Resources > Logs > service > current > fmecleanup.log

Hi @hollyatsafe​ 

When I press the OK button and no file is selected it gives me the expected behavior: An error is given saying that a file is required

imageBut when the file to upload is rather large, it takes some time before reaching 100%. And then it is possible to hit the OK button and launch the process.

imageThis results in a Failure.

imageIn the log there is a reference that the file to process isn't found. So apparently the upload is interrupted when hitting the Run button.

imageIt is strange that I can hit the Run button before the file upload reaches 100%. I'm not sure but I thought that in the version 2019 the Run button was disabled until 100% was reached.

Badge +2

I have the exact same issue on FME Server 2022.0.1.1 Build 22350 - linux-x64.

I have published a server app where the user has to upload a file, and yes, if there's no file it asks for input, but since it's possible to press run before the upload is finished the workspace will fail.

I also remember seeing the "the input will be processed once the upload is finished" in earlier versions.

Badge +5

@bbnj356​ @jatoxa​ 

Would you be able to share the log file of the job run via the Server app? I would like to confirm the source dataset used during translation.

@bbnj356​ @jatoxa​ 

Would you be able to share the log file of the job run via the Server app? I would like to confirm the source dataset used during translation.

Hi, in attachment the job log. In the server app I hit the run button before the whole file was loaded to the server. you can find the file error on line 245. It also says a fatal error has occurred but the jod itself has a status 'Completed' as if nothing went wrong. Thanks for looking into this. Kind regards, Bart Boone
Badge +5

Hi @bbnj356​ ,

Could you please re-send the job log file? I don't see them as an attachment.

Badge +5

Please be advised that we were able to reproduce this expected error “Value is required. Source Text File(s) is required“ when there was no default value set for the workspace's source dataset user parameter and the source dataset was uploaded to the Server App at runtime instead.

I have filed a bug ticket [FMESERVER-18712 ]with our Development Team.

The temporary workaround for this issue would be to remove this default input dataset as the User parameter from the workspace via the FME workbench and republish the workspace to FME Server. Then you can input the dataset to the Server App at runtime instead.

However, please send us the job log files so we can confirm the root cause of this issue for your case.