Question

FME Desktop 2020: The “dissolver” tool fails to dissolve adjacent polygons based on their colors,

• 11 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

FME Desktop 2020: The “dissolver” tool fails to dissolve adjacent polygons based on their colors,

In the screenshot below, I wanted to dissolve polygons based on their color. At the marked location, I expected that these polygons should be dissolved. However, they don’t and a line is still appearing.

What could be the issue here?

The data and workbench are attached

Clip_46 

Clip_47 

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @jamal If you set the tolerance to 3.597246683841558e-7 then the polygons will dissolve together as you expect. The Automatic tolerance is 3.597246683841558e-10

Badge +5

What does the tolerance represent when it comes to my polygons? Does this indicate that the adjacent polygons have gaps?

Clip_61 

Clip_62 

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Yes. You could use an AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner to remove the gaps before the Dissolver and keep its tolerance the default Automatic. The attached workspace also measures the gaps between the vertices, ranging from 4.243546074853105e-8 to 4.233246933918182e-8

Badge +5

In order to find out where the gabs are:

1)    I added a boundary polygon around the whole 10 polygons I have (R1.dwg)

2)    I subtracted the 10 polygons from the boundary polygon with the clip command

3)    I disaggregated the result

4)    There is no clue that there are slivers that should show the gaps

I tried the same steps but with other CAD file (k20.dwg) at which the gaps are exaggerated, the gabs are caught

Clip_133Clip_134Clip_131 

Clip_132 

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

In order to find out where the gabs are:

1)    I added a boundary polygon around the whole 10 polygons I have (R1.dwg)

2)    I subtracted the 10 polygons from the boundary polygon with the clip command

3)    I disaggregated the result

4)    There is no clue that there are slivers that should show the gaps

I tried the same steps but with other CAD file (k20.dwg) at which the gaps are exaggerated, the gabs are caught

Clip_133Clip_134Clip_131 

Clip_132 

The Clipper creates a donut polygon with the R1 dataset - not an aggregate. Use a DonutHoleExtractor to break it up. With the K20 dataset, the Clipper creates an outside feature which is an aggregate of 4 parts - the outer donut and 3 polygons inside the hole of the donut.

Badge +5

My aim her is to identify the gaps between the polygons in question that cause the dissolver tool to fail to get them dissolved as expected.

I’m not able to identify these gaps even with the “DonutHoleExtractor” as per the screenshot below. For example, I’m expecting to have gabs between polygon#1 and polygon#2 indicated in the screenshot. These gaps are not identified anyway

Clip_70 

Clip_71