Question

Custom NAD83 CSRS epoch 2010 projection system definition throws an error

• 11 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello community,

I need to output data in MTM or UTM systems for Canada but in NAD83 CSRS epoch 10.

I know the EPSG code does not exist for such projected coordinate system.

I used the ESRI WKT to create a custom definition for FME using this tool: https://demos-safe-software.fmecloud.com/fmedatastreaming/Coordsys/Start.fmw?

And then i saved and used the coordinate system definition i got and added a datum definition:

Here they are:

DATUM_DEF NAD83CSRS2010               \\

DESC_NM  "North American Datum of 1983 (CSRS) version 6"        \\

SOURCE   "Metashape"           \\

ELLIPSOID GRS1980

COORDINATE_SYSTEM_DEF MTMZone7-NAD83CSRS(2010) \\

DESC_NM "MTM7 NAD83 CSRS 2010" \\

GROUP MTM \\

DT_NAME NAD83CSRS2010

ORG_LAT 0 \\

PARM1 -70.5 \\

PROJ TM \\

QUAD 1 \\

SCL_RED 0.9999 \\

SOURCE "Metashape" \\

UNIT METER \\

X_OFF 304800 \\

Y_OFF 0

When i use this in the workbench i get the following error:

is not a supported projection

Unable to initialize coordinate system structure for coordinate system `MTMZone7-NAD83CSRS(2010)'

Reprojector: Could not create reprojection engine

What am i missing? Are there example of creating a projected coordinate system for NAD83 CSRS epoch 2010?

Kind regards

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @edoh-alove​,

Your definition is missing the '\\' continuation character at the end of the DT_NAME line, cutting off the rest of the definition. However, once this is fixed, you will also need to define a transformation between NAD83 and NAD83CSRS2010 for the reprojection to succeed. CSRS transformations usually use a grid file supplied by the applicable province.

You may have better luck with the PROJReprojector, which has a much larger library of coordinate systems and transformations, and can automatically access tranformation grids online.

Hello @daveatsafe​ 

Awesome. Thanks very much.

I have the transformation grid (CSRS 2010 - NAD83) for Quebec but the format is not recognized by FME. It's .csc format. How can I convert to .gsb? I can share via email (because it's from one of our customers).

I was working in FME Desktop 2019.1 and FME Server 2019.1.

It doesn't offer PROJReprojector transformer. However i tested it in Desktop 2021.1 but when i use Automatic transformation, it does'nt seem to collect the grid online to reproject.

I think i do need to add the grids anyway for Canadian CSRS transformation?

Thanks a lot for the help

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hello @daveatsafe​ 

Awesome. Thanks very much.

I have the transformation grid (CSRS 2010 - NAD83) for Quebec but the format is not recognized by FME. It's .csc format. How can I convert to .gsb? I can share via email (because it's from one of our customers).

I was working in FME Desktop 2019.1 and FME Server 2019.1.

It doesn't offer PROJReprojector transformer. However i tested it in Desktop 2021.1 but when i use Automatic transformation, it does'nt seem to collect the grid online to reproject.

I think i do need to add the grids anyway for Canadian CSRS transformation?

Thanks a lot for the help

Hi @edoh-alove​,

Please email the grid file to me (dave.campanas@safe.com) and I will find out how we can use it in FME.