Question

Need to read coordinates from a shapefile to generate another shapefile

• 10 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi, I have bottom hole well locations in the attributes of surface hole well locations shapefile. I need to read those coordinates and generate a new shapefile in FME

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @jasper​,

Are you looking to create point locations (x,y,z) from the shapefile attributes of the well locations?

You'll probably want to check out the CoordinateExtractor (examples included in the linked doc) to get points if attributes holding the locations aren't already available. If the attributes are already visible but not immediately accessible in your workspace, then the AttributeExposer might be needed. And if you want to create points, the VertexCreator as well. Our article, Converting from CSV to Spatial Geometry (Vector), has a good example of using the VertexCreator. From there if you potentially want to build a line, you could type in 'Line' into your canvas to search up the LineBuilder. Hope that helps!

Hi @jasper​,

Are you looking to create point locations (x,y,z) from the shapefile attributes of the well locations?

You'll probably want to check out the CoordinateExtractor (examples included in the linked doc) to get points if attributes holding the locations aren't already available. If the attributes are already visible but not immediately accessible in your workspace, then the AttributeExposer might be needed. And if you want to create points, the VertexCreator as well. Our article, Converting from CSV to Spatial Geometry (Vector), has a good example of using the VertexCreator. From there if you potentially want to build a line, you could type in 'Line' into your canvas to search up the LineBuilder. Hope that helps!

Thanks @jovitaatsafe​ . I was able to generate new feature class using VertexCreator transformer.