Solved

How can I read in these building footprints from Google?

• 6 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Looking to use these building footprints from Google, and they're in a format I haven't heard of before, a 'spatially sharded CSV'. Has anyone ever worked with this dataset or know how I could read in the spatial data?

Here's more info from the page at Google Research:

Building polygons

Building polygons are stored in spatially sharded CSVs with one CSV per S2 cell level 4. Each row in the CSV represents one building polygon and has the following columns:

• latitude: latitude of the building polygon centroid,
  • longitude: longitude of the building polygon centroid,
  • area_in_meters: area in square meters of the polygon,
  • confidence: confidence score [0.5;1.0] assigned by the model,
  • geometry: the building polygon in the WKT format (POLYGON or MULTIPOLYGON),
  • full_plus_code: the full Plus Code at the building polygon centroid,

icon

Best answer by dmatranga_byr 6 January 2022, 21:49

View original

3 replies

Badge +1

FME recognizes the latitude and longitude and thinks it's a point. Any idea how I might be able to use the WKT geometry column to make polygons?

Badge +1

Google's terminology had me confused, but a simple GeometryReplacer works great.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks for your great question. I made it one of two Questions of the Week! That means you get a special badge on the community, but more importantly, I cover the content in a video. Although you solved the problem already, you might find this interesting.

You can find a demonstration of the solution to your problem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mblkuhjv6gw&t=139s

I hope this is useful and thanks again for posting your question to the community.