Question

LAS clip to multiple Shapefiles

• 5 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello wise people. I am trying to clip (extract by mask) a big LAS file to multiple shapefiles (2 for now but they will eventually be 14). The workflow is like this: LAS reader, Clipper, Feature writer. When I choose "OUTSIDE" to the writer it clips properly but with INSIDE (which is the one I need) it doesn't clip properly to the shape of the polygon (shapefile). What gives? Thanks so much.

4 replies

Badge +11

Hi @maximusfuscus​,

Any chance you have a Group By attribute set in your Clipper? I believe you'll want it to to be set to the polygon ID that you're clipping by (clipper port). There's an article example here, Clipping and Tiling Point Cloud Data, that does a clipping by grid where they set the Group By to the Tile ID.

It may also be a good idea to confirm that both inputs into the Clipper (polygon and point cloud) have the same coordinate system so they're clipping in the correct location.

Hopefully that gets the output you want! Otherwise, if you're able to share any screenshots on the expected polygon shape and output, the Community may be able to provide some other suggestions.

Hi @maximusfuscus​,

Any chance you have a Group By attribute set in your Clipper? I believe you'll want it to to be set to the polygon ID that you're clipping by (clipper port). There's an article example here, Clipping and Tiling Point Cloud Data, that does a clipping by grid where they set the Group By to the Tile ID.

It may also be a good idea to confirm that both inputs into the Clipper (polygon and point cloud) have the same coordinate system so they're clipping in the correct location.

Hopefully that gets the output you want! Otherwise, if you're able to share any screenshots on the expected polygon shape and output, the Community may be able to provide some other suggestions.

Thanks! I'll have a look. What's weird is that if I choose OUTSIDE it clips ok. On the inside it clips to a shape similar to the shapefile but not correct.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @maximusfuscus​ , could you please share screenshots that illustrate the problem?

Hi @maximusfuscus​ , could you please share screenshots that illustrate the problem?

Got it to work. I just created two different shapefiles in ArcGIS Pro and replaced them. The initial ones were created in QGIS. Solved the problem. Thank you all!