Question

Reader aborts reading complete data set, but workbench continues to run. Can I have the workbench fail when this occurs?

• 5 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have an FME workbench that runs every 10 minutes that reads from an ESRI Feature class in a SQL database. Once in a blue moon I get the following warnings.

Unable to retrieve feature from table/feature class 'xxx'. This feature, and any other feature from 'xxx' that cannot be read, will be skipped. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147154945'

Unable to retrieve feature from table/feature class 'xxx'. Aborting reading from table 'xxx'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216010'

Yet the next run 10 minutes later has no problems.

When this occurs I want the workbench to stop rather than proceeding with the incomplete data set. Is there a way to force a termination when this happens?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hmm, not a great solution but you could run a pre-query to fetch the total number of features in the table. Then after the read you can compare the number of the last feature read vs the result from the pre-query. In the case where the numbers are different you can run it into a terminator.

Badge

Changed from a Reader to a FeatureReader which gives the <Rejected> output port and then set 'Rejected Feature Handling' to Terminate Translation.

As the error is intermittent, and can't duplicate on demand, will have wait and see if this solved the problem. But I think it should.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

There is a parameter called Ignore Failed Readers. If you had this set to No, then that might resolve the problem. Having said that, it defaults to No anyway, so it's unlikely to help, but I thought I'd mention it.

I am having the exact same issue, reading 5 feature classes, and writing them to another location. Occasionally, one or two of the feature classes will be skipped, but workbench will continue to run/complete.

@mark2atsafe​ -​ I confirmed that I do have the ignore failed readers set to "No". I submitted a case yesterday - https://community.safe.com/s/case/5004Q00002UIXZiQAP/published-job-does-not-fail-when-it-should

Badge

I am having the exact same issue, reading 5 feature classes, and writing them to another location. Occasionally, one or two of the feature classes will be skipped, but workbench will continue to run/complete.

@mark2atsafe​ -​ I confirmed that I do have the ignore failed readers set to "No". I submitted a case yesterday - https://community.safe.com/s/case/5004Q00002UIXZiQAP/published-job-does-not-fail-when-it-should

I have not had any issues since switching to a Feature Reader Transformer. In fact it hasn't failed yet. Definitely seem differences between it and the Reader.

My impression from the documentation is that 'Ignored Failed Readers' is for when the complete reader fails, say like in an inability to connected. In my case the reader was failing half way through reading the rows and proceeding with only a subset of the data.