Question

Reading in zip file results in garbled data

• 4 January 2022
  • 3 replies

When reading in a zip file with three text files, it results in garbled data. Any ways to fix this?

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi @victoria.russo​, You can refer to this document on more details about reading zip files. As for the garbled data, this could be caused by using the wrong reader. Are you using the Text File Reader?

Thanks @jennaatsafe​, it is a text file reader. For one zip file I am able to read in my data no problem, for other zip files (all have three text files in the zip file) I get data that looks like this:

The actual text file is not corrupted, it's only becoming garbled when read into FME.

Badge +6

Thanks @jennaatsafe​, it is a text file reader. For one zip file I am able to read in my data no problem, for other zip files (all have three text files in the zip file) I get data that looks like this:

The actual text file is not corrupted, it's only becoming garbled when read into FME.

Is your text file encoded in UTF-8? If not you may have to use an AttributeEncoder. It can convert between different encodings including UTF-8.