Solved

Error "Error running translation." after the transformation complete. No further errors are given.

• 21 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

When running "my" workspace I get an error at the end of the translation, after writing the output, with the message: "Error running translation." No further errors are given. The tail of the output:

==============================================================================
Total Features Written                                                      32
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Translation was SUCCESSFUL with 773 warning(s) (32 feature(s) output)
FME Session Duration: 1 minute 10.3 seconds. (CPU: 40.2s user, 6.5s system)
END - ProcessID: 1680, peak process memory usage: 320516 kB, current process memory usage: 172000 kB
Error running translation.

The workspace converts a DWG to GML. It uses an Excel sheet for some mapping rules/lookup tables. Other DWGs do not have this problem, only two DWGs cause this. The DWGs are not corrupt, at least AutoCAD complain that these DWGs should be recovered. Furthermore, the `AUDIT` command in AutoCAD does not find anything.

Turning on debug logging does not provide any useful information either. Disabling most of the workspace does not fix the problem. The workspace does run without problems on FME Desktop 2019.x. When running this on FME Desktop 2021.1, or FME Server 2021.2, the error occurs.

What should I do to fix this?

Edit:

More specifically, FME Desktop version is:

FME 2021.1.1.0 (20210730 - Build 21619 - WIN64)

FME Server version is:

FME Server 2021.2.0.1 Build 21789 - win64

icon

Best answer by danminneyatsaf 23 December 2021, 21:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @stevenl​, sorry to hear about this issue. Does this cause the workspace to hang/crash when the error appears or are the features still written out okay?

Would you be able to share the workspace and source data with me if possible? Without being able to take a look at the data/workspace it will be hard to pinpoint what is going on here.

If you are not comfortable sharing your data here, you can always submit a support case or upload your files to the Safe Support FTP!

Badge

Hi @danminneyatsaf​, thank you for your response. I've uploaded a zip to the Safe Support FTP, called unexpected_error_running_translation_dwg_to_gml.zip. This zip contains:

• The workspace + Excel mapping sheet used for translation
  • Log of the conversion (all looks ok)
  • Screenshot of the tail of the conversion (including the error)
  • Output GML (which is written normally)
  • Two DWGs which both have this problem

Badge

I've also uploaded job_97180.log to the Safe Support FTP. This contains the job server output. The job has status FAILURE, with nothing after line 56 in the logs and no warning or error.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I've also uploaded job_97180.log to the Safe Support FTP. This contains the job server output. The job has status FAILURE, with nothing after line 56 in the logs and no warning or error.

@stevenl​ I tried reading the file with the RealDWG Reader and can read it successfully without encountering the error in 2021.1 & 2021.2. This should also work in the version of FME Desktop you are using. I would give this a try and see if it works okay for you.

Just to note that this Reader is only available on 64-bit Windows systems. We also recommend that most Windows users should use the RealDWG Reader as it has expanded capabilities using a library provided directly from AutoDesk.

Let me know if this works for you!

Badge

@stevenl​ I tried reading the file with the RealDWG Reader and can read it successfully without encountering the error in 2021.1 & 2021.2. This should also work in the version of FME Desktop you are using. I would give this a try and see if it works okay for you.

Just to note that this Reader is only available on 64-bit Windows systems. We also recommend that most Windows users should use the RealDWG Reader as it has expanded capabilities using a library provided directly from AutoDesk.

@danminneyatsaf​, yes this does seem work for me. Testing it more thoroughly now.

Thank you!

Badge

After more testing I can confirm this works. Thank you for your help.