Question

CSV Reader wrongly classified column

• 14 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I am loading in a large address data set in CSV format

The reader has wrongly classified my coordinate columns as "time". This causes the VertexCreater transform to add incorrect geoemtries

When I click "User Attributes" on the Reader I cannot change the column type from time. Everything is greyed out. How can I best override this

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 11.25.21 

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

This is a recently introduced functionality which turned out a bit too aggressive and is changed back in 2022 beta.

If you use a FeatureReader you can just hit "Parameters..." and choose Manual under "Attribute Definition" and change the Attribute Type.

FeatureReader ParametersCSV ParametersIf you use a Classic Reader, click "Readers" --> "Update Feature Types..." to get to this screen.

Badge

This is a recently introduced functionality which turned out a bit too aggressive and is changed back in 2022 beta.

If you use a FeatureReader you can just hit "Parameters..." and choose Manual under "Attribute Definition" and change the Attribute Type.

FeatureReader ParametersCSV ParametersIf you use a Classic Reader, click "Readers" --> "Update Feature Types..." to get to this screen.

Thanks but I am struggling to understand why this can't be done as a normal reader?

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Thanks but I am struggling to understand why this can't be done as a normal reader?

I updated the answer, you can also change this with a Classic Reader. I just never work with classic readers / writers so I didn't knew from the top of my head.

If you use a Classic Reader, click "Readers" --> "Update Feature Types..." to get to this screen.

Badge

This has not fixed my issue

Here is the output of a simple vertex creater after reading in the CSV file

For some reason the points have been grouped and gridded? They should show an even distribution over a polygon (this works correctly in QGIS). Is there something else I am missing about the CSV reader?

Thanks

VertexCreater 

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

It is hard to say what went wrong without data & workspace. To what type did you set X_COR / Y_COR?

Badge +8

Hi @davebarter​ 

You can do this in a normal reader, this option is not enabled by default.

Go to Tools --> FMEOptions --> Workbench --> Allow Reader Feature Type Editing

EnableReaderFeatureTypeEditingFor the second part of Vertex Creator, as @nielsgerrits​ mentioned if you can provide a small sample of the CSV file, we can investigate this further.