Question

NullAttributeMapper not mapping to a true null?

• 9 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hi all, I'm trying to map fields to match a SQL table where some need to be Null and others are Not Null. As far as I can see, I've done this correctly in the 2 NullAttributeMapper Transformers (attached screenshots).

Basically I need some to be Null, and others to be Not Null. These have been separated in the screenshots below by 2 NullAttributeMappers.

I've attached the error as well, as this is proving to be quite tricky. Any help is appreciated.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Could it be that you've forgotten to add the error message?

Also, I think it could be helpful if you could post a screenshot of the data in Visual Preview's Table View from immediately after the NullAttributeMapper(s)

Badge +4

Hi red,

I've since attached them (been one of those days..weeks..possibly longer). You can see the difference between a Null value and a blank one, which is what the issue is - as it should be blank/empty, and not a Null

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

I'm not sure you can write an empty string into a smallint column? So I think that is your problem. FME is trying to be clever and convert the empty string to null but you can't insert a null as that is not allowed for that field either.

Badge +4

I'm not sure you can write an empty string into a smallint column? So I think that is your problem. FME is trying to be clever and convert the empty string to null but you can't insert a null as that is not allowed for that field either.

You may be onto something here. In the case I can't write an empty string there is there any way to get around it? I'll speak with our DBA team but I didn't know if a space or otherwise would suffice?

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

You may be onto something here. In the case I can't write an empty string there is there any way to get around it? I'll speak with our DBA team but I didn't know if a space or otherwise would suffice?

I suspect you will have to agree some sort of dummy integer value if nulls are not allowed