Question

Dynamic Workflows: Setting schema based on Lookup Table, Geopackage Writer fails when encountering an empty value in a field defined as fme_date

• 8 December 2021
  • 0 replies

I've got a dynamic workspace I've set up, where a user can specify a SQL query that will be read from an Oracle database, and depending on user-specified input, generate either a shapefile, file geodatabase, or geopackage. I'm testing defining the schema based on a Lookup Table as outlined in this tutorial: https://community.safe.com/s/article/dynamic-workflow-tutorial-destination-schema-is-de-1

In my initial test, everything worked perfectly fine for shapefiles and fgdb's. However, some of the records in my database hold empty values in certain date fields that have been defined as 'fme_date" in the Lookup Table. In the .shp and .fgdb feature classes, these values are simply displayed as <null>. When writing the geopackage though, I get the following warning:

GEOPACKAGE writer: Encountered date with empty or invalid 'yyyy' value. Expected format is 'yyyyMMdd', but got ''

When attempting to open the geopackage in ArcPro, the geometry shows up but I'm unable to open the Attribute Table (an error window pops up that says Unknown Error). To be sure, I changed fme_date to fme_char(50) for the fields with missing values and the Attribute Table did display correctly, so it certainly looks like it's all about these empty date fields. I also tried using AttributeManager to set any blank values to <null> and got the same result (but setting it to an arbitrarily picked date did work).

Is there a way to specify in my Lookup Table, or in my writer, to allow for null values in these fields?

EDIT: A coworker checked my output in QGIS and everything looks good there, but ideally this would also work in ArcGIS Pro.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!