Solved

Is there software that can use longitude/latitude coordinates, where upon entering them into a smartphone, you can identify a point on a plot of land, on for instance, Google maps?

• 30 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I work for a deck building company that consistently needs to find lot boundary markers, but due to lack of information sometimes we are unable to identify where the boundaries of a lot are. We are exploring and trying to find ways that we could easily find the part of the lot that is the physical boundary marker of the property. Assuming we are able to find longitude/latitude coordinates, we are looking for software that could allow us to enter that information in a smartphone in order to be guided to that point on a map on smartphone. Thanks for any input you may give!

icon

Best answer by hkingsbury 2 December 2021, 20:09

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

You can enter the lat/long straight into the google maps url

https://www.google.com/maps/@-43.5232781,172.6293073,18z

This will zoom you to Lat: -43.5232781, Long: 172.6293073 at a zoom level of 18

Badge

Thanks for that answer. I did check this out after asking this question. Do you have any recommendations about what to do if the location of my phone on the map is not guaranteed to be accurate?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

There are external GNSS receivers that you can connect to your device via bluetooth that would improve the accuracy

Badge

I see! Could you explain how I could connect to them?

And if you have time to answer, another "search" item I have been looking into is, ideally I would like to be able to "surf" a map and be able to see the height of the land at integrals of, say, 2 or 4 feet, or meters or whatever. But if this were not possible, I would be interested in technology that could determine the height of the piece of land I'm standing on. I'm not entirely sure what that is called. Would that be either orthometric or ellipsoidal height?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I haven't used a phone with a bluetooth receiver before. I have used standalone GNSS/GPS recievers before. These will also give you the height. There is a huge range of them avaliable for all price brackets. Some well known brands to look for are Trimble, Leica, Garmin (many of them do both standalone devices and Bluetooth receivers for phones)

Badge

That is great information, thanks!

Do you know what reliable websites are I might be able to look for those receivers to be on sale?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Looking at your profile I believe you're over in America? I'm over in New Zealand so any of my recommendations unfortunately won't be applicable for you

Badge

No worries, thanks for that info.