Question

FeatureReader dumbs down geometries from Revit file

• 24 November 2021
  • 3 replies

My input has a lot of Ring looking objects in it, when viewed from Autodesk everything is smooth but the FeatureReader doesn't see them as rings, but some dumbed down rectangular shape.

Reader:imageimage 

How it should look:

imageHow it looks:image 

What I've tried was extracting coordinates and rebuilding with Python and Scipy and it seems that for some reason it has ~380 coordinates in it but 12 duplicates of each exactly at the points where the ring seems to 'break'(coordinates only appear there, nowhere else), could this be source of the issue? Or where should I look? I'm trying to write these to a Cesium Tileset but I don't think that should be relevant since the rings show up like that the moment they get read and not just in the output.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies

When setting the Parameter setting 'Read geometry as' to 'Wireframes' I'm getting this for the ring:

imageHow could this be 'filled back up' or converted into the solid it should look like?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Most likely the object is defined in revit using some kind of equation (a parametric solid). The reader probably converts this to real points/surfaces. What is the geometry type of the wireframe, is it made up of arcs?

The 3D circular solid needs to get converted into a Brep solid and likely gets 'stroked' in the process and you end up with this less than ideal shape. You can try and play with the StrokingTolerance in the workspace settings to see it it has any effect on the result but I suspect that this wont have any difference.

Thanks for the reply, Yes it's made up of 16 arcs and 4 lines, I'm guessing one arc for each quarter of a circle.

Tried playing with the StrokingTolerance value (0.1, 0.2, 1,2,5,10) but I do not see any change so I'm guessing that's not the issue?