Question

How do I set an expiration run/queue time for FME server apps?

• 22 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

When I run a workspace directly on FME server I have the option to choose a job expiration time for both the runtime and the queue time. This can also be done with schedules. However, I can't find this option for workspace apps. How can I set this up for my workspace app?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hmm, yeah it look like these settings can't be defined for workspace apps. But it makes sense to have them.

What's the use case, perhaps there is a workaround.

Badge

Hmm, yeah it look like these settings can't be defined for workspace apps. But it makes sense to have them.

What's the use case, perhaps there is a workaround.

In my specific case I have a workspace app which reads a gml file with 2d lines and transforms them into 3d solids based on depth and diameter attributes.

The thing is, some users uploaded very large files in the testing phase which results into the workspace running for up to 4 hours. We want to limit this so other users can also use our FME server.

At the moment we are thinking about limiting the amount of features or the total line length of all the features combined but other ideas are welcome.

Badge

In my specific case I have a workspace app which reads a gml file with 2d lines and transforms them into 3d solids based on depth and diameter attributes.

The thing is, some users uploaded very large files in the testing phase which results into the workspace running for up to 4 hours. We want to limit this so other users can also use our FME server.

At the moment we are thinking about limiting the amount of features or the total line length of all the features combined but other ideas are welcome.

Hi @sandervanegmond​! Matt is correct, we currently don't have the advanced settings on Server Apps such as job expiry times, but I imagine you aren't the only person who could take advantage of this. We have a related idea posted for global job expiry times.

As for a workaround, data validation with a Terminator (if too large) is probably your best option. Failing based on the feature count, total line length, or both will depend on how much of an impact these factors make on your job runtimes. A bit more convoluted workaround would be to set up the Server App to run an FMEServerJobSubmitter that points to the actual workspace, and in the Advanced settings you can set the expiry times.