Question

FME workbench stopped working with error "could not retrive metadata for layer .... error code from the server was '500'.

• 17 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, 

I have a workbench setup, it reads a database connection, does some transformations, then write to our Enterprise GIS Portal. The writer is setup to overwrite/truncate the feature layer data,  and it has been running successfully for months, but I have now noticed it is failing. I had some issues getting the workbench setup, I think I had some forums post about it as we had to rename some fields and use replace some strings as some characters were causing problems. 

But all them got sorted and it was working fine. The error message is:

ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: Could not retrieve metadata for layer/table ID 0 of Feature Service at 'https://maps.middlesbrough.gov.uk/server/rest/services/Hosted/ReportIT_Firmstep/FeatureServer'. The error code from the server was '500' and the message was: 'Connection to IT-ARCGIS-ENT.MBRODOM.NET:9876 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.'

I thought it may be a firewall or proxy issue, so got our Infrastructure to allow full access out, but the error persists.

In the main workbench I changed the dataset name to see if it could write it as a new feature layer, and it publishes it, and doesn't report any errors,  but the feature layer seems corrupt, as when I tried to preview it in the workbench, it doesn't work, and when I try open it in Portal, it returns 'There was an error'. So something seems to be going wrong when writing to Portal. 

As a final test I created a new workbench and tested my connection to Portal, and connects fine and can see my data.  So I can reach our Portal. But when publishing, it seems to be corrupt. As I can't open the dataset in Portal or preview it in FME. I checked the ArcGIS Server, where the workbench and Portal is trying to access, and it doesn't seem like the service has been created, which is very odd as FME completes as it it has written it. 

Any ideas please?

1 reply

Badge

Did you ever get this resolved?

I was getting the same error when trying to publish to Portal, including if I manually uploaded a FGDB and published that. Wasn't having data store validation errors but I came across this thread and granted full access to \\arcgisserver and \\Server for the service account, then restarted the data store service. Full access alone didn't fix the issue; restarting the data store then did. I'm not sure (haven't tried revoking access) whether access had something to do with it that just wasn't kicking in until the restart, or if restart alone handled it.

We just set up our Portal this week and I just got this working today, so no idea how long this apparent fix will persist