Solved

Do 1 bookmark before another

• 16 November 2021
  • 6 replies

I have 8 bookmarks each are doing separate tasks. However, the 1st bookmark must be done before the others. And the 8th bookmark must be done last. How do I enforce this?

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 17 November 2021, 08:48

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4

How easy this is to implement can vary quite a bit depending on how the workspace is structured. Just know that bookmarks are visual elements that have no bearing on the order of execution by themselves.

Have a look at the documentation for different strategies on how to control transformer flow:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/Controlling-Transformer-Flow-at-Runtime.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +33

You can also use the FeatureHolder to detain features between transformers (within the same bookmark or between bookmarks).

I'm still pretty new to this. So i've attached a screenshot of the first two bookmarks.

The first is to delete all records (this is running but for some reason not deleteing anything)

The 2nd inserts data from 3 tables into an existing table.

Delete then appendHow do I make sure the rows are deleted before FeatureMerger is triggered?

Thanks for the advice so far @geomancer​  @david_r​ 

Userlevel 3
Badge +33

There is no need to delete all records from a table before adding new features. In the Database Writer you can set Table Handling to 'Truncate Existing' (or 'Drop and Create').

This also makes sure that records will only be removed when FME is about to insert new records.

Truncate Existing 

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

I'm still pretty new to this. So i've attached a screenshot of the first two bookmarks.

The first is to delete all records (this is running but for some reason not deleteing anything)

The 2nd inserts data from 3 tables into an existing table.

Delete then appendHow do I make sure the rows are deleted before FeatureMerger is triggered?

Thanks for the advice so far @geomancer​  @david_r​ 

Use a FeatureWriter, not a classic Writer, then you have a summary output port which you can use to initiate the next step. For example a FeatureReader.

There is no need to delete all records from a table before adding new features. In the Database Writer you can set Table Handling to 'Truncate Existing' (or 'Drop and Create').

This also makes sure that records will only be removed when FME is about to insert new records.

Truncate Existing 

Thanks, this gets rid of my need for the first step!