Question

12dxml data wont display in inspector a curved segment if it is the last segment of polygon

• 15 November 2021
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

12d has the ability to close polygon without making the last vertex sit on top of the first vertex. ( ie a square\\rectangular polygon has 4 vertices and 3 segments)

When the last segment of this closed polygon has a radius, a 12dxml file when viewed in data inspector or workbench, does not show the last segment as curved.

When compared against a polygon that the last vertex sits on the first vertex (ie 5 vertices, 4 segment polygon) then FME displays correctly.

When I look at the properties of both strings in inspector, the two different properties are No. of vertices which is 5 and the field under IFME Polygon called Linear Boundary is yes for the scenario of not displaying the curve on the last segment.

For the polygon that does display correctly, these two fields are 10 and No.

Would appreciate anyone with any 12d knowledge to assist or what the linear Boundary field means

Note uploader wont accept 12dxml file format so you will need to rename the attached to polygons.12dxml to view in inspector

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

So I don't have any knowledge of 12d but I can help you understand some stuff about what you see in FME.

The 'LinearBoundary' is just an indication that all of the segments are Linear (no arcs). It's not a reflection of the 12d but rather how FME has interpreted the result.

FME typically auto adds points to close a polygon when reading xml. You will notice on the 'closed' polygon the last segment has 3 points, this shows where FME has added that extra point to close the polygon.

The number of vertices is a real weird one because is shouldn't be 10. This seems like maybe an FME bug. If you use a CoordinateExtractor on the polygon with the Arc then you get 10, FME automatically 'strokes' the Arc to create linear segments. You can run it through an ArcStroker and you will see the same thing.

So to sum-up:

Either FME is interpreting the file wrong, i.e., finds a non-closed polygon and then closes it and skips the creation of the Arc. Or the file is wrong and should contain that last point to close the polygon.

Either way if you want this to work as you expect you should file a support request. To me it seems like a bug.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @bakes​ , mind if I bug you for some additional infromation? If you could provide comments on the following questions, this would be helpful!

1. What version of FME are you currently running?
  2. Does the output geometry look correct in native 12dViewer?
  3. Are there any error or warning messages in your logfile? If so, may you share with us.

I think this bug was identified and resolved in 2021.2, so it may just be a matter of upgrading FME versions. You can visit our Downloads Page here. Thanks in advance, Kailin.