Solved

What ArcGIS license does FME need to make a FIle GDB?

• 9 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm making a workbench where I try to write to a file GDB.

To be able to use a fileGBD FME needs to be able to detect a ArcGIS license.

We do have arcmap and arcgis pro, but not on the virtual machine that runs FME.

Do I need to install arcmap or arcgis pro on this machine to be able to write to file GDB's ?

thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 9 November 2021, 13:58

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Not if you use the "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API)" writer, as this is open.

If you want to use the "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb)" you need an Esri licensed product on the same machine.

Not if you use the "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API)" writer, as this is open.

If you want to use the "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb)" you need an Esri licensed product on the same machine.

Thanks for the answer!

The File Geodb Open API gives a lot of problems when updating/overwriting the DB, that's why I prefer the File GeoDB.

I wonder if installing arcgis Pro on that machine would be enough (since arcgis pro doesn't require a license server install)

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Thanks for the answer!

The File Geodb Open API gives a lot of problems when updating/overwriting the DB, that's why I prefer the File GeoDB.

I wonder if installing arcgis Pro on that machine would be enough (since arcgis pro doesn't require a license server install)

As long as ArcMap can reach the license server / you are logged on in ArcGIS Pro it should work. Just be sure you have the correct version combination. You can check this in "Notes on FME and Esri Versions and Compatibility".