Solved

DJI metadata from images

• 8 November 2021
  • 6 replies

We have photos in jpg format that were taken with a DJI drone. Usually all EXIF data are easily accessible using the JPEG reader, but not the DJI custom metadata. We need to access the data that shows up when opening the image in a text editor:

imageI tried reading the files with a text reader, but that gives several thousand lines of text and no way of seeing which line of text is connected to which image. This should be a common problem for everyone with a DJI drone? Any suggestions for now and maybe a DJI photo reader or DJI EXIF reader in the future?

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 8 November 2021, 13:47

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

If it's one image with its corresponding set of metadata in a single .jpg file you can read the files using both a jpg and a txt reader and match them up using the fme_basename attribute

It looks like it's XML so if you're able to weed out the non-xml binary data FME should be able to make sense of it.

Thank you! It was a pretty basic problem with me not exposing fme_basename in my reader. Kind of awkward to miss it, but now everything works great.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Thank you! It was a pretty basic problem with me not exposing fme_basename in my reader. Kind of awkward to miss it, but now everything works great.

No worries, it happens to all of us from time to time 😉

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

No worries, it happens to all of us from time to time 😉

Nice job!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think a DJI metadata reader would be useful too. I've made the suggestion to our product managers/developers. I hope they will choose to implement it. Look out for issue reference FMEENGINE-71267

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi folks! I'm happy to share an update that the enhancement filed by @mark2atsafe​ to support reading custom metadata in the JPEG reader has been implemented for FME 2023.1, and it's available in the betas now for testing.

You can find our beta version here: https://engage.safe.com/support/downloads/#beta