Question

How do I check my fmw file measuring unit

• 5 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello there,

So I have two data set.

(1) LL84 Coordinate system (in degree minute, etc)

(2) Hong Kong80b.Grid System (in meter).

I want to ask how do I know which measuring unit I am using in my fmw file. It is because I am using Anchored Snapper transformer and I want to set the snapping distance in 0.001m, yet I dont know what unit the transformer is in.

Thank you in advance.

Zach

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

The unit is always in the units of the dataset/projection. For Lat Long this unit will be in degrees, for meters it will be meters etc. As a rule it's best to reproject to a local coordinate system when performing geometric operations.

Badge

So are you saying for my data. All the transformers that are linked to LL84 Coordinate system would be in lat long, while those transformers that are linked to Hong Kong80b.Grid System would be in meter?

May I ask how do I reproject to local coordinate system? I have no clue how to do it.

My final goal is that I have to set the snapping distance in meter value.

Thank you for your help. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

So are you saying for my data. All the transformers that are linked to LL84 Coordinate system would be in lat long, while those transformers that are linked to Hong Kong80b.Grid System would be in meter?

May I ask how do I reproject to local coordinate system? I have no clue how to do it.

My final goal is that I have to set the snapping distance in meter value.

Thank you for your help. :)

You can use the Reprojector to reproject from LL84 to your meter grid.