Question

Create ACAD block from multiple DWG files

• 2 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

I need help by creating ACAD block in FME.

There are more DWG files with buildings, one building per file, filename=BuildingID. I need to merge them into one DWG file, where each building should result into one block with block_name=BuildingID.

I can simulate it in ACAD, but I need to do it for hundreds tiles, with hundreds buildings each.

Attached are two buildings DWG (5296285, 5356200) and result file with blocks (5300_340000).

Thank you very much for any help!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @uvmsci​,

If you read in multiple DWG files, then aggregate by the attribute fme_basename, you can create a single file containing a block for each building:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 2.41.28 PMHowever, FME cannot presently create blocks that contain geometry on more than a single layer, or more than a single color, so it cannot exactly reproduce the target file. All the input geometry will be present, but will have the same layer and color.

Badge

Hi @uvmsci​,

If you read in multiple DWG files, then aggregate by the attribute fme_basename, you can create a single file containing a block for each building:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 2.41.28 PMHowever, FME cannot presently create blocks that contain geometry on more than a single layer, or more than a single color, so it cannot exactly reproduce the target file. All the input geometry will be present, but will have the same layer and color.

Thank you @daveatsafe​,

this is what I encounter all the time. I can create a block with single layer. I was hoping in some trick by aggregate with some list attribute that can distinguish layers within the block...

What about DGN - is there any chance to achieve this with DGN cells?

Thanks a lot!