Question

How to use overlapping clippers without data loss

• 29 October 2021
  • 6 replies

perhaps the easiest way ahead is to explain the bigger picture of what I am trying to achieve.

I want to produce individual location maps and block plans for about 30,000 properties. Each plan would be centered its dedicated property but show some detail of neighboring houses and roads etc.

I am trying to use the clipper (using buffered property land parcels as the clipper) to clip a base map. Obviously the clippers overlap.

The way the clipper works, each clipper takes a bite through the base map, and outputs the result. This means that some properties have many bite chunks removed from their data and their output is incomplete.

Ive used FME for over 20 years, but I me not a techy programmer.

Ideally the Clipper transformer would have tick box option that says 'retain input clippees for multiple processing' or something.......

All suggestions welcome.

Regards

Dave

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Have you tried the MultiClipper custom transformer? I agree that this is a limitation of the clipper.

No, Where would I get this MultiClipper from?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

No, Where would I get this MultiClipper from?

It should just be available in the list of transformers to add like normal, but in the bottom in the Green section. Or you can download it here: https://hub.safe.com/publishers/spatialtransformation/transformers/multiclipper

Badge +2

@dave_on716​ Since you're effectively trying to create a separate ap sheet for each property, you might want to consider using WorkspaceRunner in a 'parent' workspace and then run your clipping task for each property. Might run a little slower, but would keep your clipping workspace simple.

Mark, I am obviously missing something here; Ok so I have the parent workspacerunner executing the basic running of the child workspace, that includes the standard clipper, BUT

I don't see how it controls the flow of the Clipper features. The workspace still has the problem that the clipper turfs out used pieces of the clippee stopping them from being used as material for subsequent feature/clippers.

Badge +2

@dave_on716​ I'm probably not understanding what the objective is. Perhaps you can include a sketch or small example