Question

troubleshooting missing automation jobs

• 29 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +9

I have an automation that has 3 workspaces.

I run this every 5 minutes. the first workspace takes approx 2.5 mins to run. the second and third only a second or two each.

load automationThe first and second jobs always show up in completed. only sometimes does the final job get created. But it does get created and run successfully sometimes. I understand that if the second job fails the 3rd one would likely not get created. I do have a few fails on job #2 but it still does not correlate the number of #3 jobs missing. how can I troubleshoot this?

Capture2

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi @Brad Nesom​ ,

In this setup, the final workspace is triggered by an Automation Writer, so the expectation is for every feature that enters the writer a job will be triggered.

If not all the #3 jobs are being submitted, it sounds like something is happening in workspace #2 so that the features are not actually reaching the writer. To troubleshoot this I'd recommend you start by adding a Log Message action after the comp.._load port so that you can see quickly from the Automation Log which features are coming out, then for those that are missing, look in the #2 equivalent job log to see if it says the features are making it to the writer or lost somewhere earlier in the translation, which would then need to be fixed at the workbench level.

Badge +9

Hi @Brad Nesom​ ,

In this setup, the final workspace is triggered by an Automation Writer, so the expectation is for every feature that enters the writer a job will be triggered.

If not all the #3 jobs are being submitted, it sounds like something is happening in workspace #2 so that the features are not actually reaching the writer. To troubleshoot this I'd recommend you start by adding a Log Message action after the comp.._load port so that you can see quickly from the Automation Log which features are coming out, then for those that are missing, look in the #2 equivalent job log to see if it says the features are making it to the writer or lost somewhere earlier in the translation, which would then need to be fixed at the workbench level.

Thanks @hollyatsafe​ ,

are you saying "adding a Log Message action after the comp.._load port" in the automation? if so, where do i send that? just to a log file and then review it? or are you saying put a logger in the workbench after the feature writer summary port?

Badge +2

Thanks @hollyatsafe​ ,

are you saying "adding a Log Message action after the comp.._load port" in the automation? if so, where do i send that? just to a log file and then review it? or are you saying put a logger in the workbench after the feature writer summary port?

Hi @Brad Nesom​ 

Sorry I was unclear. I would suggest the Log Action in the Automation. This writes to the Automation Log which is accessed from the Menu within the Automation.

2021-10-29_10-20-26I would suggest this over the Logger in the Workbench because that way you don't have to look in each Job Log individually, to determine which jobs weren't triggered, it all gets written to the same file.

Badge +9

Thanks @hollyatsafe​ ,

ok i guess i will have to remember to go and download that log, prior to stopping the automation. it seems to clear that log when i stop the automation.