Question

Combining geometries of fme_line features into a 3D Surface/Mesh/Solid

• 28 October 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a .dgn that has a lot of 'blocks' that are made up by Smart Solids (they consist of only fme_lines as far as FME Desktop sees it) and they show up like this

imageimageOf all the other parts (Free Forms which are fme_areas) Im building with MeshBuilder and they show up just fine, but these parts are missing. I managed to separate these parts from the working ones because clearly I have to deal with these differently but I dont know how. SurfaceBuilder/SolidBuilder seems to just reject everything, only AreaBuilder (which if Im correct is not for 3D stuff?) outputs something but it is far from what I want, for example:

For this input

imageMy AreaBuilder

imageOutputs something different image

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @edidimand​,

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we support smart solids in the DGN reader and so they're being read in as wireframes.

If this is something that you want to see added to FME, you can upvote this idea here: Solids or Faces from Wireframe and share your use case to help inform our product team of your interest. We have an enhancement request tracked internally as (FMEENGINE-9102) for this but there isn't a timeline on it just yet. I'll also update you here when it has been addressed.

Mark suggests a workaround in this previous Q&A here which is to create meshes from smart solids in Microstation before bringing it into FME, hopefully that will help for you as well! Once you've got it into FME as a mesh, it should be possible to convert it to other geometries (like a brep solid using the GeometryCoercer).