Question

How to put points on lines with interval of/each 100 meters ?

• 27 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi! I want to put points on lines with an interval of x (for example 100m) meters. I tried several ways to do that. (I beggin with FME).

1) I used the lenghtCalculator, then calculate how many points I can put in the line for 100m interval @int(@Value(_length)/100) , add a counter, copy the points distance attribute and get number of copy linked with the "cloner",

copy the number of each lines*100, calculate at what lenght put the point @int(@Value(_length)-@Value(_copy)) AND snipper !

The problem with that solution is the "cloner", I have a VERY big database and it's make too much geometry... Is there a way to do it without touching or adding the geometry?

Or maybe with a formula, ... python caller ?

2) I tried other ways too, like the chopper and the vertex, but it's not a strict interval of 100meters like this.

3) I also tried the method with measure generator, linedivider and measure extractor.. but it's deleating me some of my lines cause of invalid geometry, even if they are not invalid (I checked).

Here we are, I tried to explain a my different approaches. I defintely need to not use the cloner because of my large database.

Thanks for your help!

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

I suspect the issue with the measure generator approach is that you have some aggregate geometries, which are not invalid but cannot be handled by the measuregenerator. You probably need to handle these anyway to correctly achieve what you want to do. But the measuregenerator approach is definitely the best to use imo

Okey I see! thanks! So I imagine that I must use the deaggregator, I did so and that seems to work pretty well with a smaller db..

Take a look here: ​https://www.safe.com/transformers/densifier/

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Okey I see! thanks! So I imagine that I must use the deaggregator, I did so and that seems to work pretty well with a smaller db..

The thing to check is whether the aggregate geometries are non-touching lines, or whether they appear as continuous lines and really should be joined or built as a path.