Solved

How can I call a workspace with (some) of his input data missing?

• 20 October 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a workspace which merges several Shapefiles. The filenames/locations are handed over as parameters and the workspace is called through a batch file. How can I accomodate cases where some of the input files are not present?

There is no interaction between the missing Shapefiles and the other ones in the workspace, they just get written to a common destination.

icon

Best answer by geomancer 20 October 2021, 12:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Do you have one Shapefile reader or multiple ones? Are you merging feature types?

In terms of reading the data FME doesn't really care when a file is missing, but you may have situations with your transformers where missing one stream of data can either lead to FME terminating the workspace (depending on what you have set for the Rejected Feature Handling) or unexpected results. What those might be really depends on your workspace.

This is something that should be considered carefully: what can happen if part of the input is missing? Does that mean you also only get part of the output? Is it writing to a folder where there might already be an older set of output files, potentially leading to a situation where you have a mix of old and new files?

Userlevel 3
Badge +33

There is a workspace option to Ignore Failed Readers in Navigator > Workspace Parameters. This setting tells FME whether or not to continue the workspace when reading a dataset fails. See this question.

The value of this option is written into the workspace, so the setting will also be honoured when you call the workspace through a batch file.

There is a workspace option to Ignore Failed Readers in Navigator > Workspace Parameters. This setting tells FME whether or not to continue the workspace when reading a dataset fails. See this question.

The value of this option is written into the workspace, so the setting will also be honoured when you call the workspace through a batch file.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks.