Solved

Generalize building and keep general shape?

• 19 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +14
  • Contributor
  • 120 replies

I am looking for a method to remove the outcrops, circled in blue, from the building fotprints below. The generalization algorithms I have tried "soften" the polygons to much and make them look a bit organic. I would like to keep 90 degree corners as much as possible so that the viewer quickly can identity the shape as a building.

It might require a different process but I would also greatly appreciate suggestions on how to fill out the "jagged" corners circled in red.

Cheers!

Building2

icon

Best answer by caracadrian 20 October 2021, 10:03

View original

4 replies

Badge +20

Have you tried Deveau algorithm in Generalizer?

Badge +14

Have you tried Deveau algorithm in Generalizer?

Yes, Deveau does remove the outcrops, but does not retain she square shape of the building. Ie corners don't remain at 90 degrees. At least, I have not found a way to keep walls aligned.

Badge +20

How about this:

Chop into lines, extend them, build topology then areas and keep the largest area for each feature.

You have to figure out a value for line extension that either generally applies to your data or as a derivate of the shape/number of vertices/segment length.Building generalization idea

Badge +14

How about this:

Chop into lines, extend them, build topology then areas and keep the largest area for each feature.

You have to figure out a value for line extension that either generally applies to your data or as a derivate of the shape/number of vertices/segment length.Building generalization idea

Thanks! That is a really good idea! Will try it out.