Solved

Reading a QR Code with FME Transformer (FME Server App)

• 14 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

I'm looking to build a workspace for an FME Server App to read a generated QR code that has a CSV list of attribute values in as an attribute and further transform it. Does anyone have any experience?

icon

Best answer by drc43 15 October 2021, 16:19

View original

2 replies

Badge +4

Hi @runneals​ ,

I've been playing around with the Barcode/QR code reader in the FME Data Express app lately. You basically set up your parameter as a text field, and then in the app you tap the three dots and it gives you the option to use the Bar / QR code input method. I've found that this works really well, however I don't believe the same functionality exists if you access your app through a browser window.

As mentioned, the field is a text field, so what ever data your QR code represents (a number, text, or hyperlink), that value will be returned in the text field as simple text. I anticipate this working well for reading in a primary key to query or join to another dataset, but it really depends on what your QR code represents and how you'll use it in your workspace. I'd be interested to hear how your app turns out.

Badge +8

Hi @runneals​ ,

I've been playing around with the Barcode/QR code reader in the FME Data Express app lately. You basically set up your parameter as a text field, and then in the app you tap the three dots and it gives you the option to use the Bar / QR code input method. I've found that this works really well, however I don't believe the same functionality exists if you access your app through a browser window.

As mentioned, the field is a text field, so what ever data your QR code represents (a number, text, or hyperlink), that value will be returned in the text field as simple text. I anticipate this working well for reading in a primary key to query or join to another dataset, but it really depends on what your QR code represents and how you'll use it in your workspace. I'd be interested to hear how your app turns out.

You need to create a QRCODE parameter, on which FME DX opens camera and allows scanning. Then it transforms it into a string, which you process as any other parameter in your workspace. See video: https://twitter.com/DmitriAtSafe/status/1445438112558055427?s=20

Additional functionality in FME DX:

The docs for mobile apps are still in development, but I can tell you we have three special parameters. They work as any other parameter, but expose extra functionality in FME DX - FMEEXPRESS_LOCATION_, <ANYTHING>_JPEG, and QRCODE.

To be more accurate, the _JPEG parameter is just a file parameter, and QRCODE is a text parameter. Basically, any text parameter should show an ellipsis in the text field, which in FME DX can call camera to scan QR codes. So only location has a strict naming requirement.