Question

SpatialFilter not selecting all features within a buffer

• 14 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a right-of-way polygon (ROW) that I generated a 3-foot buffer with the intention of selecting all parcels within this buffer. When using a SpatialFilter in FME not all of the parcels with in this buffer are selected as they should be. A sample of the parcel and buffer data is attached and the Parcel with OBJECTID 85 does not select. When using the same data in ArcGIS Desktop the parcel does select. Note, the buffer is created at 3 feet, a larger buffer results in false positive results.

I also noted that when viewing the data in ArcGIS Desktop and FME Data Inspector the parcel is clearly within the ROW buffer; however, when viewed in the Visual Preview in FME desktop, the parcel is not within the buffer. Screen shots below of the same area in all three viewers.

ArcGIS Desktop: Screenshot 1 

FME Data Inspector: Screenshot 2 

FME Desktop Visual Preview:

Screenshot 3Note the parcel crossing the ROW buffer when view in FME Visual Preview and not in ArcGIS desktop or FME Data Inspector. Sample data demonstrates the issue for one parcel (OBJECTID 85). Sample workspace, GDB and MXD (10.8) included in the ZIP file.

3 replies

Badge +13

Hello!

I think it won't select ObjectID 85 because there's slight part that was outside the buffer area. I think you can deaggregate the Parcels so it won't contain multipart geometry and then you can create center of gravity point then put them through Spatial Filter. This way is guaranty that the features are contain inside the ROW you want. Then you can use Matcher to get back Object ID so you can get back the original shape of that features instead of the center point we created. I have attached the workspace for example.fme

Badge

Panda,

Thank you for the reply. I should have posted that I had received a reply from FME support. This is an issue with FME and has been addressed in the 2022.0 beta release. We had also attempted to use the method you outlined; however, the CG point will sometimes fall outside the polygon for unusually shaped features or so close to the edge of a polygon when specifying "Any Point Inside" that is will result in false positives or missed features.

Badge +13

Panda,

Thank you for the reply. I should have posted that I had received a reply from FME support. This is an issue with FME and has been addressed in the 2022.0 beta release. We had also attempted to use the method you outlined; however, the CG point will sometimes fall outside the polygon for unusually shaped features or so close to the edge of a polygon when specifying "Any Point Inside" that is will result in false positives or missed features.

Hello Iance,

Ty for the reply! I'm glad FME fixed it! i'm sorry my method still give false positive! If I can think of any other way I'll definitely let you know! But for now I don't know how to fixed that false positives lol.