Solved

HTMLReportGenerator to conditionally change the background color of table cells based on text value

• 11 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am wanting to change the the background color of a table cell based on the text value within the cell. I.e. if the value in the cell is "Good" change the background color to green and so on.

I am converting an excel table to html table using the HTMLReportGenerator then created custom html where the script below runs but the output doesn't work. I just get the html table with no background colors.

The jQuery code below seems to work when testing it using this site - jQuery toggleClass example - JSFiddle - Code Playground :

<script>

var cell = $('td'); 

cell.each(function() { //loop through all td elements ie the cells

var cell_value = $(this).html(); //get the value

if (cell_value == "Bad") //if then for if value is "Bad"

$(this).css({'background-color' : 'red'});  // changes td to red.

else if (cell_value == "Good") //if then for if value is "Good"

$(this).css({'background-color' : 'green'});  // changes td to green.

else if (cell_value == "Ok") //if then for if value is "Ok"

$(this).css({'background-color' : 'yellow'});  // changes td to yellow.

});

</script>

jsfiddle result:

jsfiddle_screenshot 

Here's the output HTML table:

output_htmltable 

HTMLReportGenerator setup:

htmlreportgenerator 

Any ideas? Let me know if more information is needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by caracadrian 12 October 2021, 07:50

View original

4 replies

Badge +20

Create your table using HTMLReportGenerator and use consecutive StringReplacer transformers to replace <td>YourTextHere</td> with <td bgcolor="some_color_name">YourTextHere</td>.

For example, replace <td>Goog</td> with <td bgcolor="green">Goog</td>, <td>Ok</td> with <td bgcolor="yellow">Ok</td> and <td>Bad</td> with <td bgcolor="red">Bad</td>

Alternatively you can create attributes for bgcolor and use a single StringReplacer to replace <td> with <td bgcolor="@Value(color_attribute_created_by_you)">. But that may not work as you lose the attributes after HTMLReportGenerator.

Badge

Create your table using HTMLReportGenerator and use consecutive StringReplacer transformers to replace <td>YourTextHere</td> with <td bgcolor="some_color_name">YourTextHere</td>.

For example, replace <td>Goog</td> with <td bgcolor="green">Goog</td>, <td>Ok</td> with <td bgcolor="yellow">Ok</td> and <td>Bad</td> with <td bgcolor="red">Bad</td>

Alternatively you can create attributes for bgcolor and use a single StringReplacer to replace <td> with <td bgcolor="@Value(color_attribute_created_by_you)">. But that may not work as you lose the attributes after HTMLReportGenerator.

The StringReplacer transformers work for my needs. Thanks so much!

Badge +3

But if it is a date field, and you want to give a different bgcolor to historical dates?

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

But if it is a date field, and you want to give a different bgcolor to historical dates?

If I've wanted to do more complex conditional queries I've always ended up resorting to python.